Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a 2000 Legacy GT limited, sun roof leaks after a rain. Drains are ok, I poured water down them all. I did some searching and people talk about the seal on the rails. But that doesn't look like its where its coming from. The water appears to be going between the seal and the glass and leaks down on the car seat, never making it outward to the rails and drains. Looks like it was designed for some water to go between the seal and the car sheet metal body, but not between the seal and the glass. It would appear as though this seal has dried/weather checked and isn't functioning anymore. Anyone know where to get this seal?

destey,

My 2002 OBW did exactly the same thing and Subaru issued a TSB on the fix.

Water would drip out of the overhead lights and the sunroof control switches back of the rear view mirror and drip onto the seats, particularly when making turns. It seems that the factory sealant of the metal sunroof opening was painted over, but with time dries out, develops small spider cracking, and rainwater would wick into the cracks, run down inside the roof metal substructure and empty into the overhead map lights and leak out. If this is the description of your issue, the fix is easy.

Open the sunroof. Take 400 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the front corners of the sunroof opening (where the metal roof skin has been folded down into the car) and down the sides of the opening for 8 inches or so towards the rear of the car. Look closely and you should be able to see the uneven sealant under the body colour paint. Then mix up some 5 minute epoxy and apply a very thin coat over the sanded area. It will stick and seal all of the spider cracks. Wait several hours before attempting to close the sunroof, or you may glue it shut.

And should the water not leak out of the map lights, and you still think its the sunroof seal, massage silicone spray into the seal and it will rejuvenate and become just as pliable as when new. Short of that, you'll need a new seal, or get the entire sunroof glass seal and all from a wrecking yard. Good Luck!

I had always thought the engineers accepted that some water would work its way around the metal roof, hence the channels that act like gutters and the 4 drains. I think this is all working ok in my car. Seems like the water is just taking a path unintended by the engineers (comes out on the plastic covers that snap onto the sliding glass). I'll try and take a pic of where its leaking down from

I'm thinking you're right on the money with the silicon spray. The seal seems dried and slightly shrunk. Any recommendations for brand or can I just go to walmart and buy "silicon spray" somewhere in the auto aisle?

destey,

You can use silicone grease as well, the same stuff that is used to lubricate brake caliper slide pins , also called dieletic grease (both come in tubes) and is used to lubricate battery terminals from corrosion and on rubber spark plug covers to make a good connection with the plug. The stuff can be massaged into the rubber seal.

Or any spray silicone bought in an auto parts store or Walmart.

Either of the above will do the job.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 11:55 AM, idosubaru said:

direct fit seals aren't available.  a friend had a 2003 leaking from a big notch out of the gasket.   i got a used assembly for $75, it was super easy to just swap the entire assembly.  few bolts and done. 

Taking the sun roof glass out doesn't require dropping the headliner etc? Just undo a few bolts? Are they hidden behind the plastic trim? Curious in case I have to do this eventually, but for now I think the silicon spray appears to be working. Had a couple of thunderstorms with a decent amount of rain and no leaks so far.

19 hours ago, destey said:

Taking the sun roof glass out doesn't require dropping the headliner etc? Just undo a few bolts? Are they hidden behind the plastic trim? Curious in case I have to do this eventually, but for now I think the silicon spray appears to be working. Had a couple of thunderstorms with a decent amount of rain and no leaks so far.

great, sounds like you got it knocked out. 

You don't do any work from the inside really.  Pop some covers to reach fasteners, or maybe they're exposed, but it's all reached from the top of the open sunroof.  Remove some bolts and the entire contraption lifts out.  Seems to me I've done it in my office parking lot to help someone out before in like 30 minutes, but maybe my memory is poor and it was an hour.