Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weather Stripping under the outside of windows

For a Second Generation Legacy, does anyone have information about the thin rubber weather stripping that runs horizontally under the outside of the windows? It seems to be held in place by adhesive. I'm looking for a name or part number if it's available at NAPA, O'Reilly etc. either by the foot or pre-packaged.

userface,

Parts stores can't get the window wiper seal for you, only Subaru. And from Subaru it will be expensive for what it is, and they most likely no longer stock the part for your generation.

The window wiper seal is fairly generic across a lot of car manufacturers and are pretty much the same and install the same way. Open the door and look at both ends of the rubber and aluminum seal on the inside of the door. If there is a small nut there remove it (some cars have them, some don't). After that the entire wiper seal comes off by prying up towards the glass. They are simply kept on by spring clips spaced 10 inches apart or so.

The aluminum is thin, so pry up gently a little along its length, back and forth, until it is free. Use one of those plastic trim pry tools so you don't scratch the paint.

Find a wrecking yard for the parts you need. Cheapest way to go, and you can practice removing one from a wreck before you tackle your car. To install one, center it on the door and then just palm it down with the heel of your hand. Good Luck!

2 hours ago, gbhrps said:

userface,

Parts stores can't get the window wiper seal for you, only Subaru. And from Subaru it will be expensive for what it is, and they most likely no longer stock the part for your generation.

The window wiper seal is fairly generic across a lot of car manufacturers and are pretty much the same and install the same way. Open the door and look at both ends of the rubber and aluminum seal on the inside of the door. If there is a small nut there remove it (some cars have them, some don't). After that the entire wiper seal comes off by prying up towards the glass. They are simply kept on by spring clips spaced 10 inches apart or so.

The aluminum is thin, so pry up gently a little along its length, back and forth, until it is free. Use one of those plastic trim pry tools so you don't scratch the paint.

Find a wrecking yard for the parts you need. Cheapest way to go, and you can practice removing one from a wreck before you tackle your car. To install one, center it on the door and then just palm it down with the heel of your hand. Good Luck!

Thank you for your reply. A junkyard may be a good option. To clarify, it is the very small black strip that is below that chrome trim piece that is right below the window:

010.jpg

userface,

Yup! That's what I was referring to as well.

I just did the same job on a 1988 BMW 635si last week, and it was exactly the same as I described. Pretty much standard anymore.

Edited by gbhrps

On 7/25/2019 at 6:21 PM, gbhrps said:

userface,

Yup! That's what I was referring to as well.

I just did the same job on a 1988 BMW 635si last week, and it was exactly the same as I described. Pretty much standard anymore.

Since there was only about 3/4" missing from one of the ends, I applied a gel adhesive to the back side, then used a flat head screwdriver to press it up into place. When I come across a piece of thin rubber that I think will fit, I'll cut to size and install the same way for the last 3/4".