Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trouble Starting 83 Brat GL

Hi All!

I'm still having trouble starting my 83 Brat GL, I thought it was weather related during the winter months here in NYC, but it's still happening in this hot, hot summer!

I bought a $300 800 cca Odyssey battery, changed all the cables, and the car does eventually start, it's just very finicky from a fresh start. I was at a parts house last night and a guy heard me having the issue and said there is something called a pickup coil under the distributor, or that is part of it. Does that make any sense to anyone?

Any help on this greatly appreciated. Once the engine is started and warms up, restarting it isn't an issue. It's just the fresh start.

Thanks again!

Is it turning over ok, just not getting fire or is it having trouble turning over? With everything that you mentioned that you had changed, it sounds like you were having an issue with it turning over. Are you the same issue or is it something new?

13 minutes ago, 88SubGL said:

Is it turning over ok, just not getting fire or is it having trouble turning over? With everything that you mentioned that you had changed, it sounds like you were having an issue with it turning over. Are you the same issue or is it something new?

It's turning over ok, but struggling sometimes. Thanks for your help!