Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Forester LL Bean Neutral Switch Location?

My first Subaru and not a car guy past simple maint.  Can anyone tell me where the neutral safety switch is on my. Having heck of time getting car started. Have to sit and move the (automatic) gear shift back and forth for about 5 minutes to get it to start. Was told it was the Neutral Safety Switch causing the problem.

Edited by psuworker

the Park/Neutral switch is inside the large multi-switch on the side of the trans.  it may need adjusted.  Or it may need replaced.

The car should start in P or N.  If it starts in NEITHER, even with a little wiggling of the shifter within those ranges, then the problem is not in the Nuetral switch.  It's super unlikely that BOTH switch paths would be failed.

Your problem could be battery connections, or a flaky ignition switch, or the starter.  And it could just be coicidence that as you mess with the shifter, it eventually fires.  If you are getting a "click" when you hit start, then the problem isn't the P/N switch, it's in the IG circuit or the starter solenoid.

I would test the starter directly by providing 12+ to the solenoid.  If that is good, you've got a weak Ig switch.  Add a starter relay or replace the whole Ig. switch.

Will re-check battery connections.

This would be the ignition switch I am guessing.  Ignition Starter Switch

I assume this is connected to the starter solenoid?

God wiz with computers, but cars make me feel like an idiot. Nothing like my first car, a 64 plymouth fury that I could practically climb into the engine compartment...

Edited by psuworker
add

Yes that's the ignition switch.

It connects to the back of the Ignition lock cylinder, on the left side fo the steering column, under the plastic cover.

Beware of EBay switches.

I've seen several that were almost correct, but the body rotated so they won't correctly bolt into place.

Test for 12v+ at the starter solenoid (small female spade wire at starter) While an assistant truns the key.  If you have voltage, then the problem is not the switch.  

Edited by FerGloyale
  • Like 1

Well, I just wanted to thank you. It was indeed the battery terminal. The nut was loose to leads on the positive terminal. I took the time to clean everything up and tightened the nut and no problems since!  Thank again for helping out a car-dummy. 

• Like 2