Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Right Weber for 86 Brat?

Will this fit my 86 Brat? : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-1985-1987-1-8L-OHC-EA82-Weber-Carb-Conversion/331100259795

Clicking the "check for fit" link it says it won't, even though this engine: "1986 Subaru Brat GL 4 Cylinders 5 1.8L 2BL" displays when doing the VIN # method of engine ID. 

Also this engine: "1.8L 1781CC H4 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated" shows up for all 1986 GL, DL, Hatchbacks,Wagons ,Sedans, Coupes, ...but not the Brat(?) 

This displays:This part is not compatible with 1986 Subaru Brat GL Standard Cab Pickup 2-Door 1.8L 1781CC H4 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated.

Please advise. Thanks in advance!!:unsure:

The Hatch and Brat usually have the EA81. 

I say usually, because they can be swapped. Can be visually ID through inspection, but the easiest way to be sure when you are newer with the Subaru engines is a stamp plate on top of the engine. It will literally say "EA81" enclosed by a machined box.

Standing In front of the engine bay, on top, just to the left of center.  Seen in this picture as number "2"

243466755_SubaruEngineIDLocation.png.b564c83132c5234e74e389e8a94d83fd.png

and in the picture of one of my Brat's engine bat, with arrow.

rps20190726_114747.thumb.jpg.5619e72c12cf711627b2f23a25c3dddd.jpg

All subaru engine, including current ones carry these same stamp locations. 

4 hours ago, Bratmobile said:

Awesome~Thanks! So I'm finding Weber Carbs that will work ~if~ you get the right adapter plate. Sound correct?

Webers work fairly well, do some googling, there are other carbs that fit as well. Get the adapter plate that says what your engine says to the carb you buy/have. 

Edited by charles_thomas
Derp

Usually we use a year before the EA82 came out for parts order when chasing stuff from 1985 and beyond to discern/ filter out the parts intended for EA82 that don't fit EA81.

This is not a foolproof method mind you and there is a chance that in 33 years someone has swapped in different intake and carb. There are two? pattern differences in the various EA81 intakes. The Weber will be the same, just need to compare adaptor . Measure what yours is and get supplier to confirm before ordering

I chuckle when timing belt sets say fit EA81 !

Thanks for the input thus far~much appreciated.

I've confirmed that there is an EA81 stamp on the Brat engine.Based on this, is there a link that could be provided for the purchase of the correct adapter plate? 

This would be for the following Weber carb: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-1985-1987-1-8L-OHC-EA82-Weber-Carb-Conversion/331100259795

Last question: For this setup, is there any clearance issue for the hood being able to fully close once the Weber is installed?

Thanks again!

I'm sure there is info on this somewhere but I'm not sure where I found it but do a google search and I'm sure it will pop up somewhere.

Don't quote me 100% on this but this is how I remember it.

There are two different base plate adapters available for the EA81 manifold/weber conversion, to my memory it had something to do with the measurements of the inlet manifold stud placement. If I remember I will measure the manifolds I have here as I'm sure I have both manifolds and post up what I find.

The theory is that the EA82 is the better manifold, can't comment as to the truth of it because I've never seen dyno sheets to prove one way or the other. I had one laying around and chucked it on anyway.

I seem to remember that the larger stud placement manifolds for the EA81 is also the same as the EA82 manifold, like I said, I may not be entirely accurate on it all. It was a long time ago that I done this conversion.

Something I was going to look at oneday, you can actually buy a top for the weber that allows the air to be drawn in from the side which would make for an easy snorkel fitment or placement for an airbox in another location. Having a larger enclosed filter in an airbox was the way I was going to go.

I haven't had any issues with hood clearance and don't see why anyone else would. The only thing I did loose was my manual choke, I elected to stay as a manual choke set up as I prefer them over electric but that's personal preference. She can be a bit temperamental in the cold to start sometimes but generally, two pumps on the throttle and turn the key, she fires into life and with a little bit of lite throttle control for a few seconds to clear her throat, it'll idle away and warm up while I get my spoob together to go.

Cheers,

Al

Measure the centres of the studs currently holding carb in place. You will be best off making contact with seller ( an extra effort for both sides I know) to ask of their adaptor plate centres. You have a 50% chance of getting it right first time if picking either

Correct me if I am wrong here boys, but didn't subaru use Carter carbs before they used Hitachi? Or maybe it was a regional or engine size matter, but I seem to recall a discussion on how the intakes are different.

Won't the vintage weber 32/36 or modern redline carb fit an ea82 manifold with no mods/adapters?

Anyway @Bratmobile when you get new weber, you should also get a jet kit to adjust for your engines operating conditions, as well as altitude and various levels of manifold vaccum. Since it's likely that you will have to disassemble the carb to change jets to fine tune your old girl, I would like to suggest that you explore the option of finding a vintage one and getting a rebuild kit! Loads more fun for probably less money. I have an ea82 manifold I'll sell you for junkyard price if you want, I need to get rid of some things and make some space 

Again fellas, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't edelbrock purchase Carter in the 90s and use their avs (?) design after Carter and weber merged? So these new weber are really edelbrocks, which is probably a mixed bag of pros and cons when compared to a vintage Italian weber...

Another neat piece of trivia: guess which manufacturer used some beast carter-weber carbs? Unfortunately they are mostly known for being cheaply made to a fault, but in reality paved the way for fast front drive cars via the scandanavian whip... Yugo! The carter/weber in that is nearly as large as the 2 bbl holley in 400 ci (6.6) lincolns from the 60s!

I am currently running a Holley 5200 series, off of a Pinto. Found one on Craigslist for $20, much cheaper than weber. For most all intent and purpose, it is a Weber. Air cleaner bottom plate is slightly different, as is the fuel inlet. But the jet, valve and associated components are all weber. 

Seems to make Weber a bit of the Maserati of Carburetors. ;)

3 hours ago, sparkyboy said:

Correct me if I am wrong here boys, but didn't subaru use Carter carbs before they used Hitachi? Or maybe it was a regional or engine size matter, but I seem to recall a discussion on how the intakes are different.

Won't the vintage weber 32/36 or modern redline carb fit an ea82 manifold with no mods/adapters?

The Carter Carb used on SOME subaru's in the 80's is a single barrel.  Those Cater equipped manifolds won't adapt well or fit with the redline kits.

I think 82/83 49 state 1800 4wds only.

Honestly, best bet it probably to swap to EA82 manifold, and use the EA82 Redline kit.  Unless you have Power steering.....than you need to keep the EA81 manifold.  There should be EA81 kits out there though.

I wasn't ready to do the EJ conversion, am still not happy about doing it either but while its stripped down I may as well. Main reason is you just can't get the parts to rebuild the EA81, otherwise it would still be there.

Cheers,

Al

If you’ve done the preventative maintenance on the EJ it’ll give you no trouble and you’ll love it. 

Have you got your adaptor plate from Subarino Auto Electrics? Hit him up if you haven’t already. You can find him on gumtree or PM me and I’ll send you his details ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

19 hours ago, Bratmobile said:

that will work, but it's a 38/38 synchronous.  Meaning both barrels open the same amount all the time.  Will be great for top end, probably fine for driveability.  But kinduv overkill at low speed might suck down the mileage.

Most people do go with the 32/36 progressive which is more like the hitachi stock with a primary and secondary system.

Kit # K730, listed on this page, http://www.redlineweber.com/carb-kits/auto/subaru/  is a 32/36 progressive that will fit your EA81