Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Audio/electrical help? 88 Subie DL SoundWagon

So I have a 1988 Subaru DL Wagon I got a few months back for $1400 with 60k miles runs great and It’s been my daily since February. But I’m wanting to upgrade the audio. I purchased the Metra 70-8900 harness adaptor, working on making a bracket to fit a new head unit but I realized with the set up I have I’m concerned that the alt and battery may need upgraded to compensate for the power I’m going to need for the amp. Has anyone done anything like this on their pre -90 Subie? I’m looking to install my 15s from my previous daily and the 1400w amp I have. 

597E1431-35E9-4FFE-B291-E8556E483F91.jpeg

7BBB8957-306C-4026-AEB7-C577686726CA.jpeg

Just replaced the deck and speakers in my 94 Loyale, the biggest problem is the depth is not enough to accommodate a full cd deck. There's about 5.5" of clearance to the heater core/air box so mechless decks are a necessity if you want it to sit flush. My pioneer 1din sticks out 2 inches from the face. I'm gonna replace it with a non-cd deck at some point.

Hmmm... 1500w divide by 12 volts is 125 amps. Looks like the 88 has a 60a alternator. So with 125amp draw and 60 amp charge you will be drawing battery down at full volume. I'd put a fresh battery in and watch your system voltage and you should be ok. Normal listening volume will not draw nearly that much juice. Nice score on your DL! 

There are alternator upgrade mods documented on the forum, they might be worth looking into as a supporting mod for your audio. 

Wysubey is correct, you need a spacer block for a CD head unit. I used a piece of wood that was shaped to fit, it’s temporaray I said as I fitted it over 10 years ago! You can buy plastic professional looking spacers, they should still be available but I haven’t looked in ages. 

Cheers 

Bennie

A 1 farad power capacitor or larger should help with the subwoofers giving them an extra boost of power. 

Not sure if they make them anymore but there was aftermarket extended brackets for mounting head units into the 85-94 cars. They extended out from the mounting hole. They even had ones that accommodated the trip computer next to the stereo. I had one in my old 86 GL-10 wagon. And I also had a couple of subwoofers but my amp was only about 400 watts.

i have used the small gm high amp altornators they fit with out modification you just need to wire them up cause the plugs dont match you can get them up to 140 amps but honestly with that kinda draw no alternator will live long get a big capacitor like mentioned above to smooth out the power spikes

11 hours ago, ferp420 said:

i have used the small gm high amp altornators they fit with out modification you just need to wire them up cause the plugs dont match you can get them up to 140 amps but honestly with that kinda draw no alternator will live long get a big capacitor like mentioned above to smooth out the power spikes

Do you have a part number of the alternator you used?

Nice ride!

These subarus have two common grounds from the factory, the left and right side have one ground each.

As a result, you can use the stereo level hookups on your amp, and use the two leftover grounds from the aftermarket deck, then tap the front or rear positive signals for high level inputs.

The advantage here is you don't need your rca inputs so the deck will fit nicely, as well as having the option to combine the common grounds after the amp to properly use a balanced audio subwoofer. Make sure your deck had the option of reversing the phase on the dub. I love jvc for this.

And have fun!

I'll post another thread on the common ground issue cause it's hard to grasp at first 

Cheers boys!

11 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

Do you have a part number of the alternator you used?

no i dont it was along time ago it was the small case gm unit they sell them with the mounting holes in different places so just make sure you get one thats close to the original alternators mounting points they come in alot of different aperages i think.they go up to 140a in the small case be carfull though the cheap ones wont last get a good one from a reputable alternator builder or seller