Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2014 Legacy pax side heated mirror cracked, possible to replace glass only?

Driving thru COnnecticut got the passenger side mirror glass cracked. What are my options - do I have to replace the whole assembly, or is it possible to replace just the glass? It's 2014 2.5i Premium - mirror is heated.

Thanks,

-Michael

740gle,

It is possible to replace the glass, but it really comes down to how much you're willing to spend time wise and money wise.

One method is to trace the mirror shape on craft paper, take it to a glass shop and have them make a new mirror from the thin mirror stock that make up mirror tile for sticking on walls. Once they have it cut you can just silicone seal it over your broken mirror glass, and masking tape it to hold it in place until it cures. You will, however, lose the wide angle effect that the original mirror had and most likely the heating element won't be strong enough to melt ice or defog. But its a cheap fix.

Another is to take the mirror assembly apart (been there several times and its not for the timid, frustrating and time consuming), and try prying the thin heating element from the back of the mirror (its glued) and use contact cement to reglue it to your newly cut mirror. Again you'll lose the large field of view, and if you were careful, the heating element may work.

Best bet is to buy a used entire unit on eBay, and if its body colour is different than yours, put its guts inside yours so you don't have to get it painted. Or you may get lucky and get the correct colour you need. Good Luck!

2 hours ago, forester2002s said:

Yes, I would prefer to go this way, replacing just the glass and not the whole unit. Just the mirror element at the dealer not far from me costs a bit more ,and  would take couple of days to get in stock. There it is even cheaper online here

https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/v-2014-subaru-legacy--2-5i-premium--2-5l-h4-gas/body--outside-mirrors

How difficult is it to replace? I found just one video on YouTube, https://youtu.be/mjYPsYfwqHk  for Crosstrek   - is Legacy the same?  Is there any other source of knowledge? A shop manual, or a write-up anywhere on the interwebs?

OK, got the mirror glass replaced. Just called my Friendly Local Subaru dealer, they actually had the part in stock for less than Price+S&H from the above site. I went there to pick it up, and they just put it on my car for free. About 5 minutes job for a skilled person. The same as in the video - you need a screwdriver to reach and to unlock the clips holding mirror glass to the rest of the assembly to take the broken one off the car, and then the new one just snaps in place it's pretty obvious once the old one is out.

side mirrors are pretty easy to replace.

Look here for FSM (Factory Service Manual): http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/

I am not familiar with the newer models, but all of the ones I have been around (late 80s to 2006) there is a trim panel on the inside that pops off to expose the nuts that secure the mirror to the door. Most likely will need to pop the door panel loose to access the wiring harness connectors, but that is not usually all that difficult either. Just take your time so you don't break anything

7 hours ago, heartless said:

side mirrors are pretty easy to replace.

Look here for FSM (Factory Service Manual): http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/

I am not familiar with the newer models, but all of the ones I have been around (late 80s to 2006) there is a trim panel on the inside that pops off to expose the nuts that secure the mirror to the door. Most likely will need to pop the door panel loose to access the wiring harness connectors, but that is not usually all that difficult either. Just take your time so you don't break anything

As I said - I actually got glass replaced altogether at the dealer ~$35. But thanks for the FSM link - that's a treasure !, even though some of it is in Russian ??