Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all - I've owned two previous first gen legacies. Most recently I had a 1990 L package that I put a lot of miles on in a short period of time. I purchased it for $900 and got way more out of it than I paid. Unfortunately the previous owner's lapse on maintenance eventually caught up and multiple issues cropped up all at once that made it not worth pouring money into.

It's been about 18 months and I find myself longing for that wagon back. In short I'm okay with a wrench and love working on these first gens but I'm looking for another in very good shape. I'm not looking for a project but rather something that's been cared for nicely. I'm curious if someone can point me to any resources that indicate options/packages available on the first gen. My wagon was an auto but had the full sun/moon roof and a nifty 'height' feature that allowed the vehicle to be raised a bit for more clearance - this feature came in handy quite often while living in a small mtn town in Western CO. I'd love to find that same package again but would love to snag one with a manual if possible.

Any resources that indicate what packages were available would be appreciated. Additionally if anyone knows good resources for finding a gem, I'd love to get some advice. Thanks ahead of time.

N

8 hours ago, Mike104 said:

Thanks Mike - according to that that option (height adjustable air suspension) was only available in '91 with an auto trans. I know it was available in '90 as well. This is still helpful though. It appears that all the options I'd like are only available on the auto versions. Does anyone have other resources that dive deep into the first generation wagon models?

Can you look for what you want mechanically without putting yourself into a sentimental corner about your old car?  Do like Imdew said and lift one if you want some extra clearance.  2” is easy bolt on anyone can do, the 4 parts are made by various people and vendors and not expensive or you can often install struts/springs from other Subaru’s for s lift.

Air suspension is highly problematic with age.  None of them are ever maintained at all, bags leak, there’s 2 dozen orings that can leak, solenoids that can leak, the pumps have multiple failure modes, and the tank sensors get corroded. They’re great in great condition but getting that on 30 year old used suspension is a shot in the dark.  Sure, look for one, but being married to them won’t be easy.  

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Can you look for what you want mechanically without putting yourself into a sentimental corner about your old car?  ... Sure, look for one, but being married to them won’t be easy.  

That's a good point for sure. I probably got lucky with my last one being in such good shape given the previous owner stated never having used it because they didn't know what it did.

Sentimentality aside, I'm particularly attracted to the first gens because 1) I love the interior and exterior of the vehicles along w/ so many other early 90's Japanese vans, hatches, and wagons and 2) for someone like me who is mechanically inclined but not a car guy/tinkerer, they are a breeze to work on.

For my life style a vehicle is a tool to get me out and about faster but I get my thrills on the bike. I've come to love the early 90's Legacy wagons and early 90's Toyota Previas because of the AWD/4WD option respectively and their capacity to carry my bikes and others and both allow enough room for sleeping inside w/ the pup during inclement weather. Outside of those reasons, the price on both vehicles is nearly always appealing and I've never been one to take out auto loans - the best vehicle is the one that's fully paid for (and AWD).

• Like 1

I’m the same and very pragmatic and practical.  I prefer 80s Subaru’s which I should change since they’re less practical due to space with kids  

That said the 91-94 legacy’s are the cream of the crop for simple, reliable, predictable in every way.  They’re excellent high mileage inexpensively maintained reliable mechanical beasts. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

Personally, I would add the 95 Legacy to that list. Just a tiny little bit roomier than the earlier ones, but the interior (mainly seats) was not quite as nice as the '90 LS..

(altho the LS seats did swap in pretty nicely ;) ) Still has that non-interference EJ22 that is so easy to work on.

I still miss my 95 Lego with the Forester strut lift & the '90 LS front seats.. Don't get me wrong, the 02 Forester is nice, but yeah, miss my Lego

High and dry Western Montana , Idaho , Washington , Oregon - but always ask for pics. 

Southwest mountains like NM and AZ also great spots but less of them. 

Had one from Utah once and it might still be on the road in VT. 

Find that website where transporters bid for your job. 

1992-94 is my choice. 90-91 has the different grill and lights. 

Best choice ! We use three of them as daily drivers here in snotty CT where driving an old car that’s not a resto is look down upon. But I know what I’ve got so I’m very happy.

My personal wagon is up over 330k now and I am shooting for 500k

7 hours ago, el_freddo said:

The ‘99 still had the EJ22. But with a small change in the valve setup it became interference. Externally the engines look the same. 

Cheers 

Bennie

yes, but the 99 was also interference.. beginning with the 97 model year they are all interference.. BIG difference internally.

2 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Wow - you're not kidding - an identical to my most recent one. I love it - going to reach out now. Thanks for the tip - didn't realize the listed ads forum existed.

Regarding engine, I really like to original body of the first gen and the interior as well. I've got a week off in mid-September and am planning on flying out and driving back a vehicle if I can find the right fit. That ad above is close enough I could do it without taking time away. The east coast ones seem to go for cheaper as well.

I would jump in that car as fast as you can.  While the demand is really low in Maryland and the east coast for cars that old - one that good of condition and cheap won’t last long usually.  If it wasn’t summer it would probably sell quicker.  

That’s such a good deal I’d be inclined to offer more for it than they’re asking (if condition and all line up), to help mitigate the distance and arranging to meet up.  I do stuff like that all the time and it’s a big help, people know you’re serious and appreciate the minor gratuity...it often helps.