Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I’ve done it.  $12 eBay keys or whatever they are.  

My dealer charges the same rate to program however many keys (and remotes if applicable) you got at the same time. I think they need all the keys you want programmed at the same time. So if you buy a new key make sure you hand them that new one and all your existing working keys as well   

Anyway - I usually get an extra, or two extras, since the keys are so cheap and the dealer programs how ever many you hand them for the same price.

I’d recommend at least once extra and maybe two if situations/circumstances suggest losing is likely again 

Edited by idosubaru

10 hours ago, idosubaru said:

My dealer charges the same rate to program however many keys (and remotes if applicable) you got at the same time. I think they need all the keys you want programmed at the same time. So if you buy a new key make sure you hand them that new one and all your existing working keys as well   

Yep, definitely need all the keys there (any keys not present will no longer start the car, so in the event of a stolen key doesn't turn into a stolen car). The dealership I worked at only charged one cutting/programming fee, regardless of how many keys were programmed.

We had many customers bring in aftermarket keys. I'd guess we had about a 50% success rate. And in order to find out, the key has to be cut, and all the steps taken towards programming, so you'll be on the hold for the charge, they'd probably let you grab an OEM one (assuming they have one in stock) without charging you the extra programming fee. So just be aware of the gamble, and communicate with the service department up front.

You could also try an aftermarket locksmith. They might have other options, and will almost certainly not charge you if it doesn't work. I avoid immobilizer cars personally, and my professional experience was just at the dealership.

FYI. DON'T. LOOSE. YOUR. LAST. KEY. In the name of anti-theft, Subaru has designed these systems so that you can't add a new key, without a working key present. The car will have to be towed to a dealer, engine computer and gauge cluster removed, and mailed to Subaru to be reset, sent back, reinstalled, and then keys purchased. This process can easily cost over $1000.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Numbchux said:

Yep, definitely need all the keys there (any keys not present will no longer start the car, so in the event of a stolen key doesn't turn into a stolen car). The dealership I worked at only charged one cutting/programming fee, regardless of how many keys were programmed.

We had many customers bring in aftermarket keys. I'd guess we had about a 50% success rate. 

FYI. DON'T. LOOSE. YOUR. LAST. KEY. In the name of anti-theft, Subaru has designed these systems so that you can't add a new key, without a working key present. The car will have to be towed to a dealer, engine computer and gauge cluster removed, and mailed to Subaru to be reset, sent back, reinstalled, and then keys purchased. This process can easily cost over $1000.

Thanks. all 2005+ are that way? 

I usually spend a few minutes looking and try to find some on amazon I think that have dedicated reviews.  that might improve odds a bit over buying whatever is cheap?

That happened to a friend in the military who had their US market Subaru overseas and lost both keys.  The dealers in that country couldn’t program or reset or do anything with a US market vehicle.  It was a big mess for the family.  I forget how they resolved that. 

48 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

Thanks. all 2005+ are that way? 

I usually spend a few minutes looking and try to find some on amazon I think that have dedicated reviews.  that might improve odds a bit over buying whatever is cheap?

That happened to a friend in the military who had their US market Subaru overseas and lost both keys.  The dealers in that country couldn’t program or reset or do anything with a US market vehicle.  It was a big mess for the family.  I forget how they resolved that. 

2005 only on the turbo and H6 models, and trickled into the rest until 07 or 08

Truth is, I don't know where people got the keys they brought in. I just know that we had some frustrated/pissed mechanics with keys that wouldn't program.

5 hours ago, Numbchux said:

2005 only on the turbo and H6 models, and trickled into the rest until 07 or 08

Truth is, I don't know where people got the keys they brought in. I just know that we had some frustrated/pissed mechanics with keys that wouldn't program.

Thanks. 

+1, i've heard stories as well and am still hesitant, only done a couple.