Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 front suspension

Alright guys so I've been lurking on these threads for a while but I've recently ran into an issue with my build that required me to post a question.

I have an 84 GL 4WD and it seems to be that front struts are completely obsolete besides Gabriel struts on eBay for $300.

Now do the next gen struts from the loyals fit directly without modification? Or any other Subaru?

From my digging in the forums I've found a lot on 3rd gen/loyal struts but almost nothing on 2nd gen.

Don't look for entire assemblies - they work better for other manufacturers but are generally low grade options for Subaru's.  

Get KYB struts, they're preferred replacements for Subaru's  and inexpensive.  I think they're like $20 for a brat!  Pocket change for the best available option!

Edited by idosubaru

Those work well, if it is bouncing that far, I would lean towards checking springs as well. If you have added any weight to the front, it might be too much for the stock springs, they don't like it. 

One options, although it does require some small mods, (redrill tophat screw holes, mount brake cable at bottom differently) is to use ea82 front struts, they are much easier to find, and are *fairly* close in size, etc.

I know you said without any mods, but it is a cheap option to consider, and a few small holes is not bad for the payout, IMO. Here is a pic, I ran them in my '78 brat that I had for quite a while. Went from ea71 style straight to ea82 struts. 

rps20190731_105850.jpg

Have you tried genuine supply? If you have the part number they might be able to find available. I have Gen3, as in EA82 front struts in EA81 body. Took a little thought to make it work, holes in correct spot for three studs and a little Emery paper to make strut fit in hub axle