Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 impreza looking to do a phase 1 swap.

i just bought a 99 impreza with a 2.2. I have a 97 2.2 that I I have been hanging on to to go in my 98. As the the paint has just been falling off in every where i decided to buy a better looking and ended buying this 99 before i realized that this one has the phase 2 engine in it. I understand that my phase 1 engine isn't so compatible with my 99 impreza.  Do I need to change out the whole wiring harness or just the engine harness to run the phase 1 in my recent purchase? 

Edited by poorboy87

Can you just drive your 99 as-is until you need the engine?  Pull the 97 and pack it somewhere for later?

Do you need it to pass inspection/emissions - does it matter if the check engine light is on?

Swapping the 99 intake manifold wiring harness onto your 97 intake manifold would be the simplest option but there are a few obstacles to jump over, such as it won't idle right as the idle control is totally different.  

If it's a manual trans you could easily swap the entire engine, wiring, and ECU if you're game for some wiring work.  I'm unsure of the feasability of doing that with the automatic. 

I don't need to pass inspection. The 99 has a bad engine as it doesn't have any compression. The 99 has a manual trans. I have a complete engine and manual trans sitting in the shed that was a real good runner with around 130k on it that I pulled out of a wreck. Im not opposed to doing the whole wiring harness swap. Going to the picknpull and grabing the harness and ECU is doable and cheaper than an engine. Im just looking for the best/easiest option to make this car drive again.  

Easiest is to fabricate adapters to install the 99 intake manifold right on top of the 97 engine.  But few people can do that.

I haven't done it but I've done enough of similar swaps in those Phases and seen what others have done to know a little bit.  But you'll want to hear from others about specifics.  

People have swapped 97's into 99's but it's not straight forward.  I know for certain the idle controller is all different, not interchangeable and needs addressed.  people have propped/adjsuted the throttle cable/body to stay open for idling, etc.  i'm unsure what other hurdles there are but there are other threads discussing it. 

As noted your Phase 1 and 2 Intake Manifolds and sensors are not compatible across phases. Wiring may not be that tough, but it can be a nightmare. Esp. if you don't have an FSM w/the wiring diagrams, etc. 

There are posts online of peeps that have got this work, but it's never been that clear whether the car actually runs 100%.

I'd consider putting the EJ22e ('97) shortblock under the EJ222 ('99) heads, too. They should bolt on as all the EJ are usually compatible, but I've never done this type of swap. And you''d have to research which Head Gasket to use to ensure the coolant/oil ports match.

Read This if bored.

1 hour ago, wtdash said:

I'd consider putting the EJ22e ('97) shortblock under the EJ222 ('99) heads, too. They should bolt on as all the EJ are usually compatible, but I've never done this type of swap. And you''d have to research which Head Gasket to use to ensure the coolant/oil ports match.

Best solution.

Thanks for the info. I will look into putting the 99 heads on my 97 block after I pull the heads to make sure they are good. I know the person who owned this car before me overheated it to the point of it no longer having compression on three of the four cylinders.

4 minutes ago, poorboy87 said:

Thanks for the info. I will look into putting the 99 heads on my 97 block after I pull the heads to make sure they are good. I know the person who owned this car before me overheated it to the point of it no longer having compression on three of the four cylinders.

If that’s the case you might be better off sourcing heats that still retain their hardness/haven’t been overheated. 

Cheers 

Bennie

5 minutes ago, poorboy87 said:

:eek: