Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL Wagon 4WD Fuel Pump Problems

First the ancient pump died, but the replacement Edelbrock stopped pumping too.  I think it may be one of the electrical relays that makes it only work when the engine is running, or the starter cranking.  i don't have a Chilton, can anyone tell me where those are physically located on the car in case they need replacing? (1984 GL Wagon 4WD) Thanks.

I have a Chiltons and same vehicle. I don't know but Chiltons is difficult and I am researching the How To Keep your Subaru Alive. I do know they are located near the fuse box.

UPDATE: Chiltons claims carbureted versions do not have a relay so there is a break like a fuse or bad connection at the pump, likely.

Edited by lrgvanman

There will most likely be a black box in the drivers kick panel area, six plug from memory. 

These can become faulty. Although I’ve not personally experienced this. 

One way to tell if you have this box or not - when you turn the ignition on, does the pump usually run for a few seconds then turn off, OR does  it run all the time? 

If it runs all the time you do not have this box. If it shuts off, you’ve got this box. 

Also ensure your fuel filters and lines are not blocked. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Has it been sitting for a while?  I went through this on my 84 GL 1.8L wagon (4sp D/R). It ended up being a clogged fuel line inside the tank. I had to take the tank to a radiator repair guy and he poured acid in it for like 2 weeks. burned a hole through it but he did a nice job patching it. Worked like a charm since.  Anyways i have an extra "black box" relay cause i thought that's what it was and it wasn't.  Also, i think i have a brand new fuel pump.

Can you unhook the fuel pump and hook up some power leads to it to see if it's not the fuel pump itself?