Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Here is photo of EJ shift lever shortened for EA81 body

Cut 60 mm from my GF8 EJ20 AWD 5MT gear shifter and shifter stay rod in an early effort to run the 99 Impreza running gear in my 92 Brumby

Yet to prove it works yet so don't take the 60 mm cut at the end near big flat washer to be the way to go just yet

On 8/8/2019 at 5:49 AM, alexbuoy said:

Nice. I’m planning to run an EJ 5 speed in my loyale soon. Keep us updated if it works

I’m looking at doing the same but in my brumby, so I too am watching to see what the outcome is ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

You mean also, don't you Bennie? I am doing this for my 92 Brumby. Taking the opportunity to do the prelim fit. Gearbox just sits in there no flywheel or clutch for convenience.

Noticed the stay rod alignment engine to body firewall needs a big think

2 hours ago, Steptoe said:

You mean also, don't you Bennie? I am doing this for my 92 Brumby. Taking the opportunity to do the prelim fit. Gearbox just sits in there no flywheel or clutch for convenience.

Noticed the stay rod alignment engine to body firewall needs a big think

Yes, sorry Jono, also. My statement was specific to alexbouy’s reply. 

How are you doing the gearbox crossmember? An old Ausubi forum member that’s a good mate of mine reckons that back in the day he made mounts from the stock brumby crossmember fit the AWD EJ gearbox without the “H” style EJ crossmember. I’m thinking of looking into that when the time comes. 

Cheers 

Bennie

edit: what box and diff ratio/tyre size are you going to run with?

Edited by el_freddo

Replying to Bennie's question :)

There seems to be a guarded secret on EJ AWD boxes in EA81 bodies. We have seen some, differing between them

There must be some good ones out there but as it seems we are all on tight budgets, even if someone went to great trouble to make one for market, might be a hard sell, like the Crossbred ones went

I intended to use the captivated nuts in the trans tunnel for the auto box cross member of EA81 to make a four bolt to body one incorporating the idea shown using flat plate from original manual cross member back to member across the auto member holes, with a half pipe steam pipe to clear the sway bar

But maybe consider the one plate from front to back but below the sway bar, don't think it will be the lowest point if I do

But already running AWD in the Brumby with EA81 manual gearbox xmem and EA81 gearbox brackets and mounts experiencing no problems. And given EA82T puts out similar torque figures to EJ22 NA should do for pissant EJ20

Hoping this picture inspires others to start similar, and share as they go, or share what and how they have done EJ boxes in EA81 bodies

I have been sitting on a 3.9:1 rear diff for a decade or more to go with a box sitting about.

My donor turned out to have a service record with my local dealer who was able to confirm its rear diff is 3.9:1

Couple that with the regular nominal overall tyre diameter of my factory size 175 .70.13 equivalent in 15" 195 .50

So far, need to see if non lifted body allows EJ tailshafts to clear the gear levers. Anyone able to add, please do

Also see will need to make a custom stay bracket to make up for no alignment of EJ to firewall mount

1565757668530-1886939640.jpg

Just now, Steptoe said:

Replying to Bennie's question :)

There seems to be a guarded secret on EJ AWD boxes in EA81 bodies. We have seen some, differing between them

There must be some good ones out there but as it seems we are all on tight budgets, even if someone went to great trouble to make one for market, might be a hard sell, like the Crossbred brake kits went

I intended to use the captivated nuts in the trans tunnel for the auto box cross member of EA81 to make a four bolt to body one incorporating the idea shown using flat plate from original manual cross member back to member across the auto member holes, with a half pipe steam pipe to clear the sway bar

But maybe consider the one plate from front to back but below the sway bar, don't think it will be the lowest point if I do

But already running AWD in the Brumby with EA81 manual gearbox xmem and EA81 gearbox brackets and mounts experiencing no problems. And given EA82T puts out similar torque figures to EJ22 NA should do for pissant EJ20

Hoping this picture inspires others to start similar, and share as they go, or share what and how they have done EJ boxes in EA81 bodies

I have been sitting on a 3.9:1 rear diff for a decade or more to go with a box sitting about.

My donor turned out to have a service record with my local dealer who was able to confirm its rear diff is 3.9:1

Couple that with the regular nominal overall tyre diameter of my factory size 175 .70.13 equivalent in 15" 195 .50

So far, need to see if non lifted body allows EJ tailshafts to clear the gear levers. Anyone able to add, please do

Also see will need to make a custom stay bracket to make up for no alignment of EJ to firewall mount

1565757668530-1886939640.jpg

Black marks in white surround is the axis of MY EA81 4 speed dual range manual box lever.

Still need to make mount for underside of tunnel to support the rubber and metal shifter stay mount then see if tailshafts lines up and clears things

Tailshaft is marked as shorten by 50-52 mm

The shift rods laterals both shortened by 60 mm

• Like 1

I’ll dig up the pics of the EJ gearbox crossmembers that I’ve got. You may have already seen them though. I like the ones that are bent to shape rather than having a break with a welded in section. There’s one xmem that has a section of half pipe welded in to clear the sway bar, that’s the one I’m not keen on. 

I like your idea of the centre piece of the cross member to pass under the sway bar before bending upwards for the rear mount.

As for gear selector rear mount, you could make up a plate that covers the trans hole while providing a bent section to drop into the trans tunnel for the mount to bolt to. This plate can have a shaped hole to fit the EJ gear lever boot, so it provides two uses. A rubber “gasket” under this plate would be needed to create a seal ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Yeah , good idea on the one piece which should give things a good support being screwed down around the rim of the aperture. If I have made a one piece all weather carpet liner for my EA82 centre console, should be able to pattern make anything :)

1565824614428-1109055733.jpg