Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping an entire interior, 87 GL wagon

I have recently found a GL wagon in a pick n pull near me that has a much nicer interior than what I’m currently dealing with. It has about 120k less miles on it’s body than mine (I’m at 310k!). That being said I have 310k miles of wear and tear on my interior. I’m considering swapping everything but the dash. While at it I would rewire speakers and interior lights. I hope to remove the carpet and do a rhino liner sort of flooring with drain plugs for easy cleaning as well. Mines an off-roader for sure, but why not make the ride comfy and pretty if I can?! 

My question: My wagon is an 87, the one I found is an 86. Will I have any issues fitting door panels, plastic panels wrapping the entire interior, ceiling upholstery, front/back seats, center console? 

Everything looks the same or similar from what I can tell at a glance. The dash boards and buttons are different but otherwise it appears the same but I don’t know that it really is.

All advice and help is much appreciated! 

Also, I’m happy to pull parts for anyone in need. It’s been pulled from a bit but plenty of goods to be had still. 

Thanks! 

-adot

They are very similar.  From 1986 through 1994.  There are some differences in the early 90s they went from a regular lap belt to the stupid power lap belt.

Some controls changed location on the dash.  Most wiring is the same.  Also, I discovered things like my 86 came with manual mirrors, but the wiring harness was in the car - so I bought a set of power mirrors and the switch from a scrap yard, and plugged them in.

There might be some small changes, but 86 to 87 should be pretty close.

Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate the info. I can move forward with a bit more confidence now. The color scheme is slightly different, but close. I think if I choose the right bits and pieces in the right spots it should look pretty good.