Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2011 FORESTER CHARCOAL CANISTER LOCATION

My 2011 Forester has cel. The code is po 456 small evap system leak. It’s not the gas cap all ready tried that. It’s probably a evap hose that has a small hole. I just can’t find evap hoses or charcoal canister. It goes to my own mechanic tomorrow. 

I could be wrong but I feel like Subaru vehicles are very hard to work on. Every thing in the vehicle is hard to find. I feel they don’t want people working on the vehicle only Subaru mechanics. I have a Toyota and everything is much easier. Thanks. 

You're not a mechanic. Subaru is no different than any other brand. Better than some in some ways, worse in others. Your massive sample data set of two whole vehicles, while breathtaking in it's sheer scale, is unfortunately insufficient for making these judgements. You think Subaru is bad? Try Nissan - go find a 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo and see if you can find..... anything. Or Ford - try doing a head gasket on a 6-point-uh-oh!

Stop asking silly questions. Your code most likely has nothing to do with the charcoal canister anyway. You need to perform a smoke test and It's highly doubtful you have a smoke machine or know how to use it. The problem will end up being corrosion related would be my guess - very unlikely to be hose. Take the car to a mechanic and let them be the judge of how hard it is to get at things.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I totally agree I am not a mechanic. My car has po 456 one thing it could be is the gas cap. I already tried that and it did not work. 

Another thing it could be is a small hole in a evap hose. I do not know if that is it I am just taking a guess. Also it could be rust. If it is rust where would the rust be. Another thing what is the most common problem with this po 456 code I do not know  

I have an appointment with my mechanic tomorrow to see what the problem is  I am in 100% agreement that I need to use a smoke machine to fine the leak Since I don’t have one or know how to use one that is why my vehicle is going to mechanic tomorrow Thanks  

On 8/12/2019 at 10:47 AM, bull6791 said:

General disorder    

I was just curious if you are a mechanic. Thank. 

Yes and no. Depends what hat I'm wearing at my performance shop. Most of the time I'm management, and sometimes I'm the janitor. My most important role is as the shop's lead diagnostic technician. Occasionally I get to open up my $14,000 Snap-On tool box and *just* be a mechanic - usually on weekends when no one is bothering me and I'm usually spending that time working on personal vehicles or projects - none of which are Subaru's other than the wife's Outback. 

This is our website:

http://superiorsoobie.com/

Does that answer your question?

GD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks. It did answer my question. Yes I did take it to my mechanic for check engine light. Code po 456. Evap small leak. 

He cleared the code and drove the car around for awhile. The code never came back. He said usually if their is a problem when code is cleared driving around it would of came back. He also Looked at all other scan tool data and screens related to car and code. My mechanic sees no reason why check engine light came on with the cruise control light flashing and the traction control light on. He also has a smoke machine to check for leaks. He said based on scan tool data and the light has not come back on when he was driving around he feels that he does not want to do a smoke test now. He said if light comes back on bring car back and he will do further testing maybe use smoke machine. But as of now. With his testing he has no explanation of why the check engine light went on. Thanks. 

The light is there for a reason. Find a different mechanic that has the knowledge and ability to properly diagnose the P0456 code. They need to lookup code setting criteria for 456 and finding the leak will almost certainly involve running a smoke test. The light does not come on for no reason. The flashing cruise and traction lights are present for any Check Engine light as a driver alert feature. They mean nothing other than you have a (P0456, or any other) code stored. 

GD

Gd 

No pending codes or codes stored. Now that the code is clear maybe it won’t come back on. Just asking if you clear a code if their was a problem when my mechanic drove the car around wouldn't the code come back. He said normally if their is a problem when you shut the cel off and drive around the light will come back. 

Also what is code setting criteria because I am sure they already looked at that. Thanks.  

for that and similar codes, you could have had a 'loose' gas cap after fueling or some small piece of debris on the gas cap's seal that caused the issue. If it does return, further testing will be needed.

More of a concern is his confusion about the cruise and traction control functions being disabled. It is common on modern cars to have ANY DTC disable those and sometimes other functions. Some codes may even put a car into 'limp home' mode.

I might consider finding another mechanic.

5 hours ago, bull6791 said:

Bottom line is : my mechanic with looking at all the scan tool data he found no reason for the po456 code. He found no other codes or pending codes. The light is off so if it comes back then he will do further testing. 

He did not do adequate testing. He does not understand the cruise and traction disable features and he does not understand that many of these codes require complete drive cycles and often MULTIPLE drive cycles. If he has access to proper repair information like ShopKey, Mitchell, Alldata, etc he could lookup code setting criteria and stop guessing with your time and money. He's a hack. Find a real mechanic.

GD

The 11 Forester has an ELCM (Evaporative Leak Check Module) that is only activated 5 hours AFTER a drive cycle (yes the car must not be driven for 5 hour for the ECU to run this test). So you must first perform a drive cycle (there are time, temperature, speed, and other constraints attached for it to be a valid "drive cycle") and THEN wait 5 hours for the ECU to perform the P0455/P0456 test. Please see attached image of code setting criteria - an excerpt from the service manual that your "mechanic" did not even bother to consult. FIND A NEW MECHANIC!

GD

ELCM.jpg

I have BAFX BT adapter now that I can use with my smartphone. ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I also have an old corded Innova 3100a. Innova and Autel have been popular in general.

I also have a Tactrix cable that I used with RomRaider and 2 other pieces of software on my laptop when I had to kill 14 codes related to failed aircut valves on my WRX.

Be aware, most car part retailers (O'Reilly's, AdvanceAuto, etc.) can scan for codes.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan