Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2011 FORESTER CHARCOAL CANISTER LOCATION

None of them work all that well for Subaru's. The support is poor from and even my Snap-On Zues that cost $14,500 retail price has a hard time with Subaru. Bi-directional control support is terrible, and I highly doubt that any of them other than the dealer Select Monitor can help with forcing the ECU to run the P0455/P0456 code test. And none of them tell you code setting criteria - for that you need a service manual database subscription or access to Subaru's technet. 

GD

General disorder 

I have another question if you don’t mind. I really appreciate the help and info. What I wanted to know is who makes good scan tools for people doing their own car work. 

Does launch or autel make good scan tools. What else is good. 

Thanks for info 

I just told you - I haven't found any that work well with Subaru's. Launch is ok but you need to spend several hundred dollars for a decent one. What do you think you will be able to do with it? The problem you are currently having will not be solved with a scan tool. What is it you want to do with the scan tool exactly?

GD

• Like 1

General dissorder 

First, for any make and model car what are good scan tools. What do Home mechanics use 

Second. For problems with the tire pressure monitoring system on cars do you need a special tool or a scan tool can read the code. 

Lastly, the subscription services that you were referring to like all data and shop key. Are they for home mechanics or they are something only a shop would get. What do they cost. 

Thanks. 

On 8/20/2019 at 11:43 AM, bull6791 said:

General dissorder 

First, for any make and model car what are good scan tools. What do Home mechanics use 

Second. For problems with the tire pressure monitoring system on cars do you need a special tool or a scan tool can read the code. 

Lastly, the subscription services that you were referring to like all data and shop key. Are they for home mechanics or they are something only a shop would get. What do they cost. 

Thanks. 

The scan tools made by Launch and Autel vary in what they support and how fast they work depending on what make/model/year you are working on. You have to research which tools work the best with the car makes you primarily work on. For Subaru, the best/cheapest option is a Tactrix cable and a laptop. 

https://www.tactrix.com/

TPMS is usually it's own tool at the shop level. I have no idea what the aftermarket low-end scan tools support for this. Again it's going to probably depend on make and model. 

My subscription service is around $120 a month. It is definitely not something a DIY'er would probably consider. There are DIY online shop manual subscriptions you can purchase Such as Mitchell DIY:

https://eautorepair.net/Marketing/Default.asp

There is the Subaru technical information system that you can also purchase a subscription to and download the manuals in PDF format. Last I checked it was about $40 for 72 hours access to this site:

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/login

GD

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2019 at 11:51 AM, bull6791 said:

Where can I get diagnostic instructions for code po456. 2011 Forester. Thanks

From the factory service manual. Download it from Subaru Techinfo.

That said. You can't diagnose it. You don't have the proper tools (diagnostic smoke machine, special diagnostic harnesses, select monitor to perform bi-directional control of valves and solenoids..... all this stuff costs thousands of $$$$$). 

GD

• Like 1