Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Interested? EA82 Coilover Retrofit Kit

I know there are many folks modifying their EA82-chassis Subarus for style or performance.  Miata shocks with coilover sleeves, legacy and impreza coilover kits, etc.  These all require some level of modification to install, an issue I've recently run into with my own project car.  This lead me to develop a few parts to allow a bolt-in installation of a set of coilovers to the EA82 chassis.

Without going into specifics my thought is a 12-piece kit to retrofit a set of coilovers for a legacy or late-model impreza coilover kit that would allow you to simply bolt the legacy/impreza parts to your 5-lug-swapped EA82, without cutting, drilling or welding anything, reusing all your original hardware.

My question is, is this something that would interest you?  I'm currently prototyping parts for myself, but if there is enough interest, I'll have some extras made at the same time.

I've got a few photos up on my Instagram page: @templeoffuji

Edited by carfreak85

These sort of things can come to an abrupt halt when it comes the budget conscious and many of us falll into this category.

On the Miata or MX5 as we call them in Australia there was an avid EA82 guy that tore into everything with great information and ability and funds. He came out with a reportedly by others, a great little RX out of $15,000 2007 sort of spend.

He did the Mazda thing on its bum, but did not publish the fact too loudly that it was not a success from what I could make out. He went back to the RX coils and some shocks he had.

What you choose to fit must work well for the masses or maybe present the options you are confident suit the low riders, std height or lifted.

Would like to see what you come up with

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

Something like that works for springs. But to do it right, you still need dampers.

I ran Miata application rears for some time with Ground-Control sleeves like that and was very happy with them.

carfreek, I fear that the issue you'll find, is your kit will only likely work with one brand of coilovers.

6 hours ago, Steptoe said:

These sort of things can come to an abrupt halt when it comes the budget conscious and many of us falll into this category.

On the Miata or MX5 as we call them in Australia there was an avid EA82 guy that tore into everything with great information and ability and funds. He came out with a reportedly by others, a great little RX out of $15,000 2007 sort of spend.

He did the Mazda thing on its bum, but did not publish the fact too loudly that it was not a success from what I could make out. He went back to the RX coils and some shocks he had.

What you choose to fit must work well for the masses or maybe present the options you are confident suit the low riders, std height or lifted.

Would like to see what you come up with

You're right about this community being budget conscious.  Having spent the better part of two decades playing on this forum has driven that home.  I'm not looking to make a living selling hot rod parts for vintage Subarus, but I needed three of the parts I designed just to put the RX-RA back off the ground and off of jack stands.

2 hours ago, el_freddo said:

I'll have to take a look at those tonight.

53 minutes ago, Numbchux said:

Something like that works for springs. But to do it right, you still need dampers.

I ran Miata application rears for some time with Ground-Control sleeves like that and was very happy with them.

carfreek, I fear that the issue you'll find, is your kit will only likely work with one brand of coilovers.

That was a worry of mine as well, but the only dimension that could affect that is the diameter of the shock shaft, which would change dimensions on three of the parts I've designed.  The lower rear mounts are all designed for the same hardware, regardless of who manufactures the coilover, and the fronts are the same sort of situation.

I'd love to get my hands on a couple different brands of coilovers to test this theory, or at least have people take some measurements for me.

12 hours ago, Crazyeights said:

Looks good! I'm not quite ready to commit yet (depends on price) but I am interested.

What's a ballpark number that you'd still be interested in?  Keep in mind that you'd still need to source the actual coilover kit of your choice, then retrofit my parts to make it a bolt-in affair on your EA82.

42 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

That was a worry of mine as well, but the only dimension that could affect that is the diameter of the shock shaft

My concerns are diameter and length. Upper spring perch is usually integrated into the original top mount, so you frequently have to add the stock EA82 mount, or redesign a mount/spring perch.

Adding the second mount, from SuberDave's build:

flex-002.jpg

Or replace it. Like Nico did, these crazy custom anodized aluminum pillowball mounts for his Ohlin's

16724559077_7b385fc58f_b.jpg

Not saying you shouldn't do it. Just brainstorming some challenges that will depend on the specific coilover design and what you've got in mind.

Yeah, I've looked into both those conversions before and spoken to Dave and Nico about them.  Got some good ideas from both guys, but I think I've found an elegant middle ground.  Long term, I'd love to do upper mounts similar to what Nico did, but the machining involved will probably put it out of reach for a lot of people.  His design gives a lot of opportunity to modify mounting points and to use the upper mount to help lower the vehicle.

For now, I've prototyped something closer to Dave's set up, but with a few tweaks to allow reuse of the OEM upper bushings and chassis mounting bracket.  Need to bang out a new drawing for rev 1.1 on some rear end parts, and develop the final piece to convert the front coilovers to the EA82 chassis.

Pretty excited about all this!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...