Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OVER FILLING GAS TANK WITH GAS

What I wanted to know is when you are filling your vehicle with gas and the pump automatically shuts off  If you keep filling your tank with gas meaning over filling tank is that bad for your vehicle Also what does it do to your vehicle  Could it give you a check engine light  Thanks  

I’ve always filled my L series to the brim. Not the same setup as the EJ models but still has the charcoal canister in the engine bay all the same. 

No issues in ten plus years. 

If I go with the single click and stop filling the fuel gauge isn’t on full. 

If doing this is it is best to be doing a bit of a drive before stopping the vehicle for the night/a period of time ;)

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, el_freddo said:

I’ve always filled my L series to the brim. Not the same setup as the EJ models but still has the charcoal canister in the engine bay all the same. 

No issues in ten plus years. 

If I go with the single click and stop filling the fuel gauge isn’t on full. 

If doing this is it is best to be doing a bit of a drive before stopping the vehicle for the night/a period of time ;)

Cheers 

Bennie

EJs generally have the charcoal canister in the back, closer to the tank - it is MUCH more susceptible to being flooded than the old EA series cars were.

me personally, when the pump kicks off, I might round off to the next whole dollar amount, might not.. depends on how close it is. if it kicks off only a couple of pennies over, I might take it to a quarter.. but i do not just keep pumping until it spits back at me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, heartless said:

EJs generally have the charcoal canister in the back, closer to the tank - it is MUCH more susceptible to being flooded than the old EA series cars were.

me personally, when the pump kicks off, I might round off to the next whole dollar amount, might not.. depends on how close it is. if it kicks off only a couple of pennies over, I might take it to a quarter.. but i do not just keep pumping until it spits back at me.

My EJ22E has the charcoal canister in the engine bay in roughly the same place that the old EA82 one sat. 

Maybe the later models have the canister in the rear, but clearly not all models do... 

I should’ve mentioned that my L series was EJ swapped ten years ago, hence why I made the initial comment above ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

6 hours ago, el_freddo said:

My EJ22E has the charcoal canister in the engine bay in roughly the same place that the old EA82 one sat. 

Maybe the later models have the canister in the rear, but clearly not all models do... 

I should’ve mentioned that my L series was EJ swapped ten years ago, hence why I made the initial comment above ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Yes, I think the first gen Legacy/Liberty is the only exception. I don't know about '93-'94, but certainly by '95, even the Impreza had it in the rear.

do you have a code? what is the number...like...P0420 or Po440 or ?

broken parts, clogged valves hoses, flooded carbon canister, cracked/loose hoses, bad solenoid wiring, bad gas cap seals.....many things can lead to an evap code.

My mother-in-law's Forester had to have it's entire gas tank replaced due to stuck tank vent valve.