Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Special hose clamps? Coolant hose on block

Any of the collective genius know of a hose clamp that has a different angle screw from std clamps, sort of like this looks...

It is my attempt at a mock up of what we need in 14 mm for the coolant hose 7.5mm ID (14 mm OD) that goes from the block to inlet manifold below thermostat gasket. On the movie and turbo , the manifold has to come off to replace the hose due to hose clamp access

If we had a different axis screw clamp ...

1565767657248176136565.jpg

Just measured a Subaru shaped hose with stated ID of 7.5 mm and 14 mm OD

The pipe fitting it is intended to fit I think, is 6.70 mm but the onion bulge like the mid point of making a double flare is the 7.5 mm section, not the clamping section

Thinking back now, I used to set this hose clamp so it can be done from the side, but in hurry to fit manifold with possibly gasket goo setting and just that awkwardness if it's umbilical cord attached - forgot, and set screw in vertically

Interestingly found a patent from the 1940s that incorporated bevel gears etc and also the classic car era of a tangential screw.

Gonna see if I can get in there with some brutal tools....

Thanks for suggestion

An answer came back to me locally for the right angle application - use a spanner on the clamps screw head - gives a right angle fastening approach.

Manifold came off in 30 minutes. Absolutely clean manifold bolts ! I used stainless and copper grease.

Someone once commented stainless could be worse than Subaru's originals and corrode more, not so this time I am happy to say.

I used hose 8076.07021 instead of correct block to thermostat hose due to lack of local availability

7.5*14*80*80

Ah yes Lucky, seen one with hex nut instead of wing ...good work. Still don't know how to post stuff other than my text and my photos ( who just said just as well ? )

I remember seeing these with hex head yet not in a spot with limited access, but right in the middle of a 60s or 70s engine bay waiting to snag a sleeve :(

I like to use the EA fuel injector band clamps on these coolant hoses, and did so again but thinking a socket would be better to access in place over a screwdriver bit for the Philips 

I do hate the common available vented? clamps that tend to cut into rubber hoses, especially smaller diameters

Edited by Steptoe

I bought some GEMI clamps when I replaced hoses on our Outback. They are german/european style I think and has raised 'threads', not 'perforated',  as well as rolled edges, slightly narrower too.

not cheap though. but, someone mentioned being able to snag some from european makes at the wrecking yard...?

hose-clamp-12-20-mm_t_0.jpg

The T-bolt clamps that came with some mishimoto silicone hoses I put on my WRX were very nice.

MishimotoTBoltNEW_570x570_crop_top.jpg

some of those come with springs to maintain force as hose material degrades/collapses w'ever

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Thanks 1

Yes, Lucky, many nicely engineered hose clamps go through the crusher and shredder. I have collected some different ones from time to time, yet seem to not be useful to me sizes. Narrow bands are useful. I often think the wide, perforated clamps are too wide

I think the fastener world calls the clamps I hate - perforated. Probably for what they can do to the hose if too tight

The genuine EA wire clamps do a great job yet can be fiddly to remove without damaging them. Some years back I had to buy a genuine hose from Nissan and it came with new wires clamps - they went into my hose clamp collection for later

Dave, I will take your knowledge onboard and add it to their strength sometimes not what is expected ....

Job is done and coolant now stays inside :)

• Like 2