Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys,

Ive got an up coming rebuild on my EJ22 engine. I bought the engine and swapped it in with I think 170k miles. Once it was all running, I noticed it burns oil and blows bluish sliver smoke out the exhaust sometimes (especially coasting downhill in gear, then acclerating is when it blows smoke the most). But I've drove it to get me by, but now I want to address the issue. I think it may be bad rings or valve steam seals. Doesn't really feel like it has any loose of compression. This will be my first 2.2 rebuild, so I'm looking for any advise. What should I looks for while tearing down this engine? How are the cylinder walls and pistons usually? When I did the rebuild on my old EA82 with over 200k miles, the cylinders were still in excellent condition with the factory cross hatching still visible. I hoping to get by with out having to reboar the cylinders to a bigger size. Any advise would help greatly. Thank you for reading!!!

ClassySoob,

I have a lot more experience with the EJ25, but typically it is not cost effective for a DIY'er to overhaul an EJ bottom end. Certainly it is possible if you have all of the tools and experience and have a good machine shop that is experienced on Subaru's. You might try to find a good used EJ22. You can also buy a rebuilt short block, I know they are available for the EJ25, not sure on the EJ22.

There are members on this forum that routinely put new rings (and in some cases knurled pistons to reduce piston slap) on EJ25 motors but I don't know if the EJ22 is the same.  My thought would be that the rings on your engine need replacing but I don't know if that is a DIY project for a novice.  Others with way more experience say to not bother touching the cylinder walls (at least on the EJ25, as mentioned above) and to just put new rings in .  I don't believe that oversize is much of an option for EJ motors, at least in stock format.