Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for troubleshooting help (86 GL/EA82)

After A few years of not running, I just got my 86 GL wagon running. It wasn't getting any fuel or spark, so I put on new ignition module. Fired right up. The idle is pretty rough, and with any throttle input it gets rougher. I tried to check the timing but I'm not able to see the marks, at all when using the timing light. I bumped the engine over and was able to see them with regular light so I know they are somewhat visible.

I'm not sure what would make keep the marks from being visible (maybe my old eyes or weak strobe), but it does idle better without the vacuum advance hooked up to vacuum.

The ignition control module didn't come with a pickup, so I had to cut and wire in the old one. The module has a + and a -, but being unsure of what was what on the pickup, I took a guess. I could wire it the other way but am worried that it could damage the module (which was very hard to come by).

I also pulled each plug, and was able to see that each one was making spark.

Wondering if it might be a vacuum issue or something else. Any help would be appreciated. I'm just about had it with this and if I can't figure it out soon this GL is headed to subbie graveyard. Found the archives the very helpful in the past and thought I'd post about this problem.

Awesome that you got her running again. 

There’s a few things you can do here: 

- find the timing marks and mark them with chalk or a bright coloured texta. 

- check that the cam belt timing is correct and not several teeth out

- make sure you’re checking the timing using spark plug #1 

- dizzy could be a tooth out if someon has messed around with it/over advanced 

- also a good idea to replace the coil. Dead coils kill ignition modules. From my experience the coil is cheaper than the ignition module.

Cheers 

Bennie

Keep that vac can out of the equation for starters. Then test the can as nearly all I have had have seen better days and leak air or propane into dizzy housing under boost and that was fun and took five months to find!!

Maybe tell us the brand of dizzy and module as they may have varied between world markets or been swapped since 86

A few of my early EA82 shared the two pin module in Hitachi of the EA81

Others 87,88 had Denso dizzy with a plastic covered module either side of dizzy insides and I suspect this is what you speak of

As Bennie suggested the obvious, clean up the flywheel markings just not while it is running. I use a rotary tool wire brush and once used model paints , green for happy timing mark, red for next one too advanced, yellow next one retarded off the green

When at say 8° BTDC, look at dizzy insides to see if it looks like it may be at spark point on those rotor tips

Compression test is always a first step even with newer stuff that does not seem to have a trouble code for poor or differing comps

Edited by Steptoe