Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So the wife got a newer truck and now i have a decision to make.  

My car is a 05 obxt 5sp with 115000 miles. Previous owner put on an exhaust and intake buts its otherwise stock. Its okay but im not terribly attatched to it. It seems like ive had to replace 1 thing or another since ive owned it. I bought it with 94k miles on it and have replaced both front axles and wheel bearings. I currently have to fix a valve cover leak thats right over the exhaust and replace the windshield from a rock.

My other option is to keep the wifes 03 stock forester xs (245k miles) and mod it. Im thinking a 2 inch lift and possibly a motor/drivetrain swap. I had an 05 forester xt 5 speed that i loved but was totaled by a tree in a blizzard. The wife refers to it as the one that got away. Im serisously thinking of selling the obxt for funds to put in the forester.

Ive been mulling it over and have been leaning towards the latter but havent gotten to the point of decision yet. If i found a forester xt thats had the wrx/sti swap done, id for sure sell both and buy that but those are hard to come by. I say that because my free time is very limited to build it.....i just have that itch to build it myself ya know?

Sso should i keep the 05obxt or sell it for funds to build the 03 forester or sell both and wait until i find a wrx/sti swapped forester?

That doesn't apply to the FXT platform - that platform was Impreza based and didn't have the turbo failure problems that the LGT/OBXT did. The LGT platform used the VF40 and later the VF46 and had issues with high failure rates - among other things like the problems with HVAC controls and the 5EAT electrical gremlins... The FXT suffered none of this as it was equipped with the TD04 turbo. 

That said - the FXT doesn't require a WRX or STi swap. It already has a de-tuned STi engine. Just needs the six speed and a turbo upgrade. 

I have a 2007 FXT 5 speed in world rally blue that I'm going to fix and sell soon. It will leave my shop with about 360 WHP on a new fully forged engine. Asking price will be about $14k.

GD

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Oh yeah - those are junk with a capitol J. Takes so much money to put one straight where it won't have any problems that it's honestly usually not worth it. 

GD

There is one at my kid's dealer with blown turbo. Definitely going to pass on it.

Yeah im pretty much set on selling the obxt. I am gonna keep my eyes peeled for a 5 speed fxt. 

GD where is your shop located?

I missed out on an 05 fxt that was sti swapped already. Its not my first choice but i may have a line on an 04 wrx that only has 51k on it.

Edited by armedequation

If you can find a 5-speed FXT, you'll need to 'bring $' as they're becoming as sought after as, well, a clean, unmolested WRX :-)

And you really don't want to do a swap, do you? Really? :-)

Just not  worth it, unless you're really  bored, unemployed, have too much $$, etc.  It's a full harness swap, not just engine/trans....wiring isn't usually a fun thing.

Note to self: Just Stop looking @ those OBXT's  for cheap on CL.....

• Like 1

I can only comment for the Outback as I owned a 2005 OBXT 5spd until recently. I thought it was comfy and all but I bought mine 4 years ago and the engine blew days later. Rebuilt it to stock over many months, and it was ok after that. Dealt with axles, bearings, suspension, alignment, tires that wore out fast, scary handling on ice etc. Eventually I just couldn't justify paying for it anymore (plus the oil leaks had me PO'd) Interior looked nice but wish they had kept it more durable in some areas. On the plus side, the HVAC always worked fine..:huh:

I’ve had Subaru’s shipped from out west. Cheap, under a grand, and well worth it to get what you’re looking for and rust free rather than trying to get something close to what you want locally.  When I’ve done it prices fluctuate wildly. Same company quotes $200 more or less than a quote 5 days earlier. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

I'm in Oregon. And our cars have ZERO rust also. So bonus. It could easily be shipped. It has a V2 Access Port and will be tuned on our dyno. 2007 was the only year for world rally blue on the FXT. It's ultra rare. Closest the US ever got to a Forester STI. 

GD

Do you have a rough time table of when it will be ready? Ive never had a car shipped. Do you have any recommendations? I would say it would be a cool road trip but im sure the kids would make all my hair fall out by the time we got back

This 03 wrx is unmolested. Id much rather have the fxt though. Granted ive never driven a wrx 

Tyler thats about where i am at with my obxt.

Edited by armedequation

1 hour ago, armedequation said:

Do you have a rough time table of when it will be ready? Ive never had a car shipped. Do you have any recommendations? I would say it would be a cool road trip but im sure the kids would make all my hair fall out by the time we got back

This 03 wrx is unmolested. Id much rather have the fxt though. Granted ive never driven a wrx 

Tyler thats about where i am at with my obxt.

If there's money involved the timetable can be moved up. It's been here a while waiting for the right person to have me build it the way they want it. If you are serious we can have a chat about what your goals are. It's a nice car and will be a lot of fun with 350+ wheel HP. Destroy STI's with impunity. 

There's lots of shipping companies. Actually had a customer buy a FXT from Colorado and ship it to the shop for a build we did (about 500 wheel on that one) and I think it was around $750 for shipping. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

1 hour ago, armedequation said:

$750 would be much less than taking a road trip with the family.

It may be completely different going WEST>EAST, but East>West it's $1500+. I can buy cheap(er) Subies from the Far East (say, NJ), but shipping usually breaks the deal.

It depends on how you look at it. If you can "import" a rust free car from out west here for $1500.... think about how little that is compared to rust related repairs over the next few years that you would likely encounter on a 12 year old east coast car..... and when you are talking about a built car worth ~$15k, a little shipping to get a nice one that's got no rust may be of little consequence in the grand scheme. 

GD

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update i am gonna sell both the 05 obxt and the 03 forester to get GD's 07 wrb forester. The boss (wife) says i have to sell both cars before putting any money towards the 07. Also decided that we are gonna get a babysitter for the kids in order for us to fly up to portland and drive it back. 

Was trying to get the windshield replaced on the obxt today and they brought the wrong one. Mines heated and they brought the non heated one. Cant believe they drove over 45 minutes away without verifying they had the right part. Wasted my time too

Cant wait to get both cars sold though...ive been just a little obsessed with this since ive been talking with GD. Looking up builds and threads like 2.5xsleepers on forester.org.  in the end i dont think i will change much except for a 6 speed swap down the road.

If im lucky i will be able trade the 03 forester for a 92 legacy turbo + a couple of grand and come out ahead....keeping my fingers crossed

2 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Engine block came back from the machine shop yesterday :D

GD

Whoops i may have just drooled a little...

I listed the obxt on craigslist so hopefully it will go soon. I may have priced it a bit high but im not seeing many in colorado that are 5 speeds with this low of mileage. Plus a wise guy once told me that you can price it high and be haggled down but its much harder to be priced low and haggle up.  If i can get enough i may take the wife down through the redwoods going back home

Anyway could you post or send me pics? If not i understand cause im sure your super busy

And thanks GD!

Edited by armedequation

No buyers yet for the obxt...getting antsy. Dont really want to drop price too much either....the sooner i can sell it the quicker i can put some money down on GD's monster...(unfortunately this is the boss's....i mean wifes rules)

Ive owned the obxt for a couple of years and heres the laundry list of things ive had to do

Valve cover gaskets, oil cooler gasket, front axles, front wheel bearings, rear wheel bearings, rear rotors and brakes,  new windshield,  and new tires with alignment. That going from around 90k on the car to 116k miles. 

Edited by armedequation