Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which brings me to this topic. Why do people argue what is market value for vehicles on a private sale? Guy pointed to kbbamd edmunds telling me that i way overvalued my car. I told the guy upfront that kbb and edmunds arent an accurate market view in this circumstance and to look at autotrader, cargurus and craigslist amongst others to see what the real market value is. I can say without a doubt that im not selling my car for 6k. Im priced at 10k which doesnt make me the highes or the lowest and give me room to haggle . 

Has haggling really turned into just telling someone they overpriced their vehicle?

Don’t worry about it. If it’s priced reasonably then find ways to walk away quick and dont waste time.  Ask or mention it up front that you’re not flexible on price and just tell people as soon as they call.  Get that out of the way first   There will be lots of window shoppers. 

I set a price and tell people up front I’m not haggling.  I tell them to go buy any of the others available on a lot or cars.com or whatever if all they want is price, I’m not competing with them nor am I trying to sell that person a car I know will sell soon enough.  If they want a certain price then go look at those cars. Simple as that, there’s nothing to talk about.

Mine usually has brand new timing gear brakes and more maintenance. I rarely move the price, usually sell to the first or second person that test drives the car.  

• Thanks 1

Ido, 

Thanks for that! I dont sell a lot of cars so i dont experience this much. Between the scammers and people constantly telling my car is worth a fraction...it can get a little frustrating. I had one gem of a guy tell me that i HAD to provide him a vehicle history report. My reaponse was simply "have a nice day"

It's just a matter of finding the right buyer. The hagglers - especially the really pushy ones - are usually in the game as car dealers and are trying to get a deal they can flip for a quick buck. That's not really your target buyer. 

KBB and the like are generally in-bed with the insurance companies and they don't in any way represent the market value on Subaru's. Even the banks around here will loan 150% of blue book because they know their customers can't even buy a car at the KBB valuation. 

GD

21 hours ago, armedequation said:

Ido, 

Thanks for that! I dont sell a lot of cars so i dont experience this much. Between the scammers and people constantly telling my car is worth a fraction...it can get a little frustrating. I had one gem of a guy tell me that i HAD to provide him a vehicle history report. My reaponse was simply "have a nice day"

yep, just get good at bringing it up fast and moving on quick.  between mine and selling for other people, I've sold a couple dozen subaru's over the years.

at least locally craigslist seems to be loosing traction/market share and has more scammers, etc.  i might be done with it in the near future.

one of the major online venues like cars.com you can list and only pay if you sell the car through them.  that's worth tossing it up if you've got a vehicle that's being looked at there.  there ends up being a lot of window shoppers but they're not annoying at least.  they just ask a question and disappear because they emailed 20 other people or end up wanting a dealer. 

1 hour ago, idosubaru said:

yep, just get good at bringing it up fast and moving on quick.  between mine and selling for other people, I've sold a couple dozen subaru's over the years.

at least locally craigslist seems to be loosing traction/market share and has more scammers, etc.  i might be done with it in the near future.

one of the major online venues like cars.com you can list and only pay if you sell the car through them.  that's worth tossing it up if you've got a vehicle that's being looked at there.  there ends up being a lot of window shoppers but they're not annoying at least.  they just ask a question and disappear because they emailed 20 other people or end up wanting a dealer. 

Thanks for the advice Ido and GD! If i dont hear much in next couple of days i will try listing on autotrader as its a flat $25 fee

Im towards the higher end of price range for colorado but only 1 car has less miles than mine by 20k or so and they are 2k more expensive than mine. Theres maybe 1 other manual but it has 50k more miles than mine. Super rupair has their auto 05 obxt at 9k with 10-15k more miles than mine

The guy who wanted me to come down to 6k was trying the angle of a stickshift makes it less valuable lol

Edited by armedequation

• 1 month later...

Okay so the obxt will hopefully be sold tomorrow for $8500! I am stoked because that brings be one step closer to getting the forester GD is building! I was thinking about making a new thread about the journey to get it but im not good at these kind of things and it never seems like i have much time. Thanks for the helpful advice guys!

On a side note it looks like the kids may have to come with us....may have to get some kind of entertainment system to keep them occupied.

Edited by armedequation