Ultimate Subaru Message Board

its like a miss under load FIXED

Heres one for ya. I have a 2000 Outback 252 w/automatic. I had a miss that went away with new cam cover gaskets and oil seals. While there, I did plugs (NGK platinum) and coil. Now it runs like a scalded ape. 

Almost

When under load, like going up a hill and on throttle, it starts to "buck" or" shudder" like a miss but its not setting a code. Also, this only happens over 3000 rpm. If you can go up that hill and keep it under 3 grand everything is fine. But by 3200 its starting to kick and buck. 

ideas?

thanks

Bill

Edited by RMVR53

GD thanks for the ideas. Not having any high-tech "stuff" to monitor trims and voltage, I may just opt for replacement...maybe one at a time because of $$.  Fuel filter is about 40k old but will do it as well. 

Tex, I would think the KS would set a code and we have none. 

Bill 

• 3 weeks later...

update. I've now replaced 4 Cam Position Sensors in 2 weeks. I finally got it to throw a code - P0341 (along with 0301-0304 - misfire). So replaced the CmPS. It lasted about 2 days and started the same crap again. Next one I installed Sunday and it didn't even start. Third one went in Monday but didn't have time for a test drive. I did that this evening. I made it 5 miles before it got so bad I wondered if I'd make it back home. Yeah it could be a bad batch of sensors, but is there anything else I should check that could be taking out the CmPS? Cold it starts/runs fine so I assume its either a heat or closed loop condition (or both).

Oh..and GD - voltage varied from .84 to .99 when hot on the downstream. I don't remember now what the front read, but it was the same as my Son-in-Laws 05 Legacy GT which we used to cross-reference readings.  

thoughts?

thanks all

Bill 

Edited by RMVR53

Not really. It's a Variable Reluctance sensor. The sensor is isolated from the vehicle's electrical system - it is an entirely passive sensor relying on a permanent magnet and a coil of wire that either end of which is connected to the interface circuit inside the ECU. So nothing the alternator or battery or ignition does can have any real effect on the sensor. There would have to be a short to power in one of the leads connected to the sensor, or the ECU would have to be somehow shunting power through the interface circuit...... unlikely. What is much more likely is a cheaply made sensor that is failing due to vibration, heat, and generally poor construction in a third world $hithole. Get a proper Japanese sensor. 

GD

went out and plugged in the reader to verify - no code...yet. Also cleaned the gear to make sure there was no debris to mess up the magnet getting a read on the sprocket.  Also to verify - its only under load and over 3000 rpm

Edited by RMVR53