Ultimate Subaru Message Board

its like a miss under load FIXED

On 8/18/2019 at 12:42 PM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

bad knock sensor can kill power

The knock sensor can actually shut off the engine and not set a code. It happened to my wife's car 3 times. I found that info on this site years ago. The old sensor had a crack in the plastic. Put on a new knock sensor and no more shut downs.

One question. Do you see any lights flickering on the instrument panel when it is acting up? Like, when you first turn the key on.

Well that is one thing out of the way.

Years ago the alternator had a broken brush in it and going up hill it would slow down then surge and repeat, then run fine. Never did it on a flat road. My volt meter showed 14-12-14-12 volts and I found the broken brush. First I'd ever seen a broken brush.

• Like 1

ok...finally had time to play with this this am. Installed the CmPS last week and got no codes but problem persisted so starting from there. I had  read on an Outback forum that another poster had a similar issue and he swapped out the upstream O2 sensor and the problem went away. So I installed a Bosch upstream O2 sensor. Still doing the same thing so I kept driving it till it thru a code. P0203 and P0103 - MAF sensor high reading and same for #3 injection circuit. Well, as best I remember a 2000 Subie doesn't have a MAF. Thoughts?

hey....a least it didn't throw a CmPS sensor code!!!

BIll

oh...and this time I watched - the tach does "flinch" when it stunbles

Edited by RMVR53

how about a screwy code reader. I picked up a cheap mini reader for the live readings. It gave me the last two codes. Reset it and just ran the 'test' again then read the code with my older INNOVA . Got a code...P341

Thats 3 after market CmPS and 2 Dealer Sensors. So either the reader is wrong or something is taking out or making the cam sensor fail under load. 

• 2 weeks later...

FIXED!!!

I found another post on the Outback forum from 5 years ago. Reading the post is was as if the guy was me working on my car. His final post is the same as this... 

one tooth off....

Both cams were on time, but the crank was 1 tooth retarded (or you could say the crank was on and both cams were one tooth advanced). Its my fault as I put a new belt on when I did the water pump 6 months ago. Why it took 5-600 miles to trigger I don't really care right now.  In any case, its fixed that and WOW...runs great, no miss and I've replaced a lot of parts that I probably needed to anyway so I'm happy. Thanks to all ya'll for direction, guidance and encouragement. 

Bill 

Edited by RMVR53
  • Like 2