Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DIY exhaust gaskets?

Any reason why home made exhaust gaskets between head and exhaust flange won't be reliable?

Sandwiched with a fine grade sealant

I have a little 2 mm sheet sitting about and wondering if anyone has tried before, thinking about the heat treating, annealing? of copper sheet when used as head gaskets

I made up gaskets a while back.   Posted on here.  Layered fibreglass mesh with copper RTV.  Details are in the other thread.  They are still sealed up.  They are reusable,  made and cured off the car.

Edited by DaveT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

my home made copper headgaskets failed i havent tryed the multlayer copper gaskets though im thinking 2 layers of copper ringed around the cylinders and silicone sealent around the water jackets should hold but why headgaskets are cheap and your not gona boost the hay out of a ea82 so there isent a need for a better stronger sealing head gaskets

with 2 layers ringed there no compresion increse like a single layer gasket so no performance gains ether

• Thanks 1