Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which timing belts?

So I snapped the drivers side belt in my 88 GL wagon. I have the car apart to look at what all parts I need but have the question of which timing belts to purchase. On Rock Auoto, Gates Powergrip premium belts are $5 a piece, and ordering from Subaru belts are $35 each. Are the factory belts 7 times better? Just kidding, but seriously which should I consider and why? Or other source even?

Thanks,

Eric

Edited by exercion
clarification

get 2 sets of the cheap ones and carry spares

the belts are a 5min swap on the side of the road when your rig is set up right just need a 12mm wrench to loosen the alternator and ac belts i dont even touch the adjuster or anything just slide the new belt on and go

2 hours ago, ferp420 said:

get 2 sets of the cheap ones and carry spares

the belts are a 5min swap on the side of the road when your rig is set up right just need a 12mm wrench to loosen the alternator and ac belts i dont even touch the adjuster or anything just slide the new belt on and go

he's in Lake Tahoe.

Feet of snow all winter.  

It would not be a good idea to run without timing belt covers in a place that will DEFINATELY see lots of big snow drfits.

Get OE or Misuboshi belt,and koyo tensioners/rollers.

Edited by FerGloyale

7 hours ago, exercion said:

Was in Tahoe, but live on the other side of the country now. I'll definitely be planning to run the belts naked so to speak.

Ugh... Bad idea still.  

Salt, road grime, etc....

Get good belts, and new tensioners and put the covers on.

Ignore it for 5 more years at least.

Or put belts on every 6-9 months with no covers on.

13 hours ago, exercion said:

Was in Tahoe, but live on the other side of the country now. I'll definitely be planning to run the belts naked so to speak.

I’d run others or Subaru.  I’ve installed Gates and Cloyes (I think) on EA/ER engines.  Subaru belts are excellent quality and worth that cheap price but the other belts will work reasonably well too.  I usually replace all the pulleys or on XT6s I regrease them. Pulley failure is just as likely as belt failure at this age.

If you run naked out here the timing pulleys, springs, and tensioners rust up from exposure. Looks rough and may not be good for the belt and bearing face seals to sit or ride against.

Edited by idosubaru

54 minutes ago, BEECHBM69 said:

There are a ton of forum members running no covers that have had different results than those stated above, myself included. 

Dan

I’ve never had a problem either but they do look trashy in short order when they rust and there are ways to make covers easy which negates the point of running without them. I think both ways are a good fit depending on the person and vehicle. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

he's in Lake Tahoe.

Feet of snow all winter.  

It would not be a good idea to run without timing belt covers in a place that will DEFINATELY see lots of big snow drfits.

Get OE or Misuboshi belt,and koyo tensioners/rollers.

ive been up in tahoe for the last 5 years helping a freind build a cabin up there open belts are fine just carry extra belts as allways

nothing special about that place no more reason you would through a belt there than anywere else

no big snow drifts your not gona be driving through 2 ft of snow they have a plow fleet there that kicks snow butt and there so stuck up they close all the back roads so you cant go anyware exscept the rubicon its open all winter cause its a county rd

our timing belts arent any different than a serpentine style belt ive had the front of my engine so packed you couldent see between the radiator and the motor to see the belts just sayin

On 8/20/2019 at 4:42 AM, BEECHBM69 said:

There are a ton of forum members running no covers that have had different results than those stated above, myself included. 

Dan

Yeah, and I've wheeled with a few of them and had to stop and change belts in deep snow and mud.  Actually that's happened at least 5 times I can think of off the top of my head.   

My EA82s with covers never broke or tossed a belt in snow.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:30 AM, ferp420 said:

ive been up in tahoe for the last 5 years helping a freind build a cabin up there open belts are fine just carry extra belts as allways

nothing special about that place no more reason you would through a belt there than anywere else

no big snow drifts your not gona be driving through 2 ft of snow they have a plow fleet there that kicks snow butt and there so stuck up they close all the back roads so you cant go anyware exscept the rubicon its open all winter cause its a county rd

our timing belts arent any different than a serpentine style belt ive had the front of my engine so packed you couldent see between the radiator and the motor to see the belts just sayin

I was born it Tahoe.

Brought home from hospital in a then brand new 78 EA71 4wd GL wagon.

I know what the snow is like.

i was born were they have real snow so im alittle skewed and ive still been going to tahoe longer than you i was sking there while you were in dipers

not trying to down play the sierra snow but lake tahoe isent that high up 6000ft so it dosent get the real sierra snow

not saying you couldent find deep snow but chances are the cops will be at your door later that day if you do unless you go to the rubicon every thing else gets shut down you cant even park your car on dirt in your own driveway anymore cars are only alowed on plowable surfaces in the winter

14 hours ago, ferp420 said:

i was born were they have real snow so im alittle skewed and ive still been going to tahoe longer than you i was sking there while you were in dipers

not trying to down play the sierra snow but lake tahoe isent that high up 6000ft so it dosent get the real sierra snow

Yeah, that's why they held the winter Firggin Olympics there.

It aint a pissing contest man.

You aren't the expert on everything.

But whatever, Bragadociously give patently bad advice, and exclaim you are the elder high muckity muck of subaru knowledge.  

To the OP.  Get some good belts and put yer covers on.  Don't listen to "Ferp"  his cars are mostly broke down raggedy bags of garbage from his posts.  If he really knew what the F he was doing, he wouldn't be so quick to talk smack at folks giving good advice.  Can't figure out were a period goes.........so you guess how good his advice is.

Edited by FerGloyale

wow did i piss you on or what lol my pos cars and truck run like tops i dont need new shinny stuff to impress others wnd besides i beat the piss out of all my stuff new old or in between and everything i own is payed for 2 houses and 8 cars so i can beat my shibit as much as i want and im ok with that

the olympics were heald at squaw valley right up on the glacier ya closer to truckie than tahoe in the donner pass area alot high up than lake tahoe alot and its back in a tight canyon that dosent get sun its also plowed 10 times a day and there are no back roads any more

oh and heres some periods for ya ................................................................

...........................................................................................................................

enjoy all.the periods

Edited by ferp420

13 hours ago, ferp420 said:

wow did i piss you on or what lol my pos cars and truck run like tops i dont need new shinny stuff to impress others wnd besides i beat the piss out of all my stuff new old or in between and everything i own is payed for 2 houses and 8 cars so i can beat my shibit as much as i want and im ok with that

the olympics were heald at squaw valley right up on the glacier ya closer to truckie than tahoe in the donner pass area alot high up than lake tahoe alot and its back in a tight canyon that dosent get sun its also plowed 10 times a day and there are no back roads any more

oh and heres some periods for ya ................................................................

...........................................................................................................................

enjoy all.the periods

I was Born at Truckee hospital.  Taken home to house on Dolly Varden street on the north Cali side of lake (Kings Beach).  Olympic valley is also WAAY not close to Truckee.  Closer to the lake at Tahoe City than to Truckee.  Did you learn geography at the same place as grammar?

That's also my point.  It's an area, not just one specific place, and to get from one part to another can be a challenge in winter.  People that live in the area frequently need to drive somwhere else than just the damn Lake.  The entire area is surrounded by 8000+ ft mountains.

Lake Tahoe residents have to deal with 15-25 or more feet of snow falling through the winter.  Sometimes 10ft in one storm.

Sometimes you have to leave for work before the plow goes through.

And stopping to change a timing belt in the snow would probably make you late for your job.

So be a cavalier macho "i don't need no stinking timing belt covers" kinda guy if you want.  Try to gaslight the whole internet by telling us that "Lake Tahoe doesn't get much snow cause it's a 6000 ft."  lol.  That's like saying "Hawaii doesn't get THAT much sun because it isn't on the Equator"

Seems like spending 15 more minutes putting timing covers on to protect the rollers from corrosion and keep the belt from being tossed by snow or mud would be the smarter options.  

Of course using punctuation is also the smart way to write, so, to the OP, make your own conclusion about who's advice is more sound.  Running coverless is for summer weather street cars.  

Edited by FerGloyale
  • Like 1

i stand by my previose statements and sead all im gona say now im gona sit back and :popcorn:

my apologys to the op for myself and ferployale for our behavior this isent what the site is about but alot of us have been here along time and every now and again poop happens between us lol i respect ferployals opinion i just strongly dissagree enjoy

Edited by ferp420

Wow I had no idea my question about which timing belts to get would trigger a peeing contest about how much snow there is or isn't in Tahoe (for the record I have seen winters with a metric f%*k-ton of snow there and ones with not really any to speak of, let alone ski on) But anyway I figured I'd update: I went with the Gates from RA, and while I haven't put them on yet, the parts do say "Made in USA". Interestingly enough, this is the same brand as is on now, if the remaining belt is any indication (same part #)

Eric

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exercion said:

Wow I had no idea my question about which timing belts to get would trigger a peeing contest about how much snow there is or isn't in Tahoe (for the record I have seen winters with a metric f%*k-ton of snow there and ones with not really any to speak of, let alone ski on) But anyway I figured I'd update: I went with the Gates from RA, and while I haven't put them on yet, the parts do say "Made in USA". Interestingly enough, this is the same brand as is on now, if the remaining belt is any indication (same part #)

Eric

the open belt vs coverd belts has been going on for along time it almost always ends with some one pissed on or off depending on how you see it lol i know ferployale is a good guy he is alway trying to help he just dosent know how to react to people with differant opinions than his so he has to insult people to make him self feel better sorry back to the :popcorn:

ok so the belts are on and the car starts. Next dumb question: I got a new water pump since I had had a leak which I thought was the pump (it wasn't) and I can't remember how old this pump is. But the flange on my new pump isn't quite as far from the body of the pump as the old one, so the pulleys don't line up. It's an Aisin, and is supposed to be the correct one for my application (I believe it because the offset if you will is only about 3/16", not lining up with either of the grooves on the other pulleys (I have factory AC) Can you put a puller on that flange and slide it out to where the fan will fit and the pulley line up? It has been way too many years since I've done that sort of thing and figured I'd ask the guru's