Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru L series ignition coils

Just received a 'Spectra C624' coil that I bought on ebay for my '87' GL 4wd wagon which was listed under compatible vehicles. That little thing that sometimes goes off in my head did so so I did a search for this particular coil application. Said it was for 'L' series with Hitachi ignition system. My distributor is a Nippon Denso, not a Hitachi and has a different looking ignition module than the Hitachi module distributor. The Hitachi modules are around $40 on ebay. The Nippon Denso was around $100. I REALLY don't want to smoke my ignition  module by using the wrong coil. Can I use this coil or should I return it? Anyone recommend a coil?

Do you have coil specs at hand?

If not, scream out, someone must be able to put them up

I think you might find specs will be the same no matter which year or coil, but I understand your caution as my 85,86 turbo Hitachi uses different spec from the two pin module coil.

As a matter of interest have you a link to the ND $100 module?

just about any coil will work ive used vw coils and international coils aftermarket coils and stock coil they wont hurt anything just make sure the voltage the coil runs off of is the same as the stock one if your not sure put a volt meter on the coil and turn the key on some ran at 8v and have a resistor inline to drop the voltage if i remeber the subaru coil is 12v cause i removed the resistor from the international and ran it 12v when i swaped to diesel i ran the coil in the loyale

the stock coil is still the most reliable but most coils out there wont hurt you ignition system but the coil might burn out prematurly

if you want a cleaner more powerfull rig pick up a msd ignition the multi spark discharge will insure a complete burn and give you off the showroom floor performance even if the rest of the system is aging

This is on ebay; $50

Beck Arnley 180-0247 Distributor Ignition Pickup & Module

The others on ebay are nearly $300 and up. Makes me think that there's a difference that I didn't recognize. For the price of the ignition module, I think I'll be looking for the Hitachi distributors.

Don't know for sure what the specs are. Think it was 2.01ohms for the primary and 8-12 for the secondary. Think I read somewhere in the forums that the fwd rigs had Nippon- Denso distributors and the 4wd rigs had Hitachi distributors. I've got three 4wd's, an '86' and two '87's' and they all have Nippon- Denso distributors.

ferp420, tell me more about the msd ignition system.

Also, don't think I ever got a response on how to upload pictures to my threads. I tried 'drag and drop' and got a message saying, '2mb max'. That was with only one pic. I've seen multiple pics on threads. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by 3crows

:) photos have become easier with more modern devices

But if you hit that little warning of overload you have hit the limit in here.

I did as well, so went from Jono to Steptoe and resolved all my photographic contribution problems from this Lenovo tablet

Maybe you could sign up new member 4crows

On the ND in fwd only ...offer, not in Oz ...we got them in 4WD wagons from about 88 to 94 I think they stopped the L Series

One of my GLTAs came with. Ford six coil by Bosch in it

multi spark discharge ignition the brand msd makes a product called al6 they also made a budget version called the street fire  i personaly used the procomp brand al6

it dosent realy matter most multi spark ignition boxes work the same way by providing 2 sparks per cycle insureing a complete burn and it incresses the intensity of the spark while using the stock coil  do basicly your running more efficent cause your burning all the fuel you put in to the engine so when you put your foot in to it your burning all.that fuel right now instead of pushing the pedlel and slowly gaining speed very help full when lugging the engine when oh say wheeling the rig and will give you full potential when and if you decide to do any kind of engine mods

new cars with direct port injection it dosent realy help any but tbi and carbed engines it helps alot

old tech

i did a vid on how to wire then up on you tube these days i have to go back and watch my own vid to figure out how to hook them up lol

i cant take any credit though as i learned how to do all this from the people on this site