Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2008 Impreza "cruise" bilinking (flashing) - no check engine light

Like the title states - I have a 2008 Impreza (auto trans) with a cruise control problem. After about 5 to 10 minutes of driving the cruise stops working and the "cruise" light flashes until I turn the car off.  Wait few minutes for it to reset. Wash, rinse & repeat. :banghead:

I've read several other threads with similar symptoms. But mine -There's no check engine, or other idiot lights in conjunction with... Plugged my scan tool in anyways (just in case) and it says everything is ok. Clearly not. Any Ideas?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

sometimes there are pending codes stored - you might scan the ECU for DTCs. A parts store can do that for you.

I'll admit, I'm old school. Gimme a Carburetor any day. But I need to keep up. I bought a scantool and as mentioned, it came up with nothing...

Google says: "When a car's Engine Control Unit (ECU) senses a problem or malfunctioning within the vehicle, it triggers an ECU fault code that will turn on the check engine light. ...ECU fault codes, also known as diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) are part of the on-board diagnostic (OBD II) system in your car."

So - wouldn't it "turn on the check engine light" - even if the're "pending codes stored"?? Do scan tool's not normaly "scan the ECU for DTCs"? What am I missing?

(Don't get me wrong. I know Google is not the expert. I had to look up "DTC".)

Thanks for your help.

image23736.png

Edited by Tims Toy 500

I also am no expert. If there are no trouble codes, perhaps there's a very specific issue with the cruise, maybe even in the roll connector/clockspring in the steering wheel. Does the horn work? Test at different wheel positions. Bad brake switch? Some issues can 'back feed' from bad/shorted brake light sockets.......even the wiring in the boot from body to hatch.....Or, there can be transmission and other controllers besides the ECU (TCU?) that could be involved. Some cars in 2005 to 2008,9 w'ever 'era' can have poor solder joints. Or, maybe some contact cleaner sprayed on the switch with some vigorous working up/down/forward/back w.ever could help?

maybe someone else will respond.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...