Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The journey has come to an end...

My loyal 340,000+ miles 1986 Subaru GL has finally gave out. I was on the freeway when the head gasket blew and ended my cars long career.

I have had this car for over 25+ years, and got it from an auction for $200 at the time. It wasn't pretty, but it was my baby........

I'll be stripping some of the parts for moms 1985 Subaru GL,  and then sell the rest of the car for parts afterwards. It will be the whole car (whats left anyway) or it goes to the boneyard.

Sad day for me, I loved this car...15138.thumb.jpeg.2a4c4434c3d691fcde3e26579e6375f9.jpeg

• Sad 1

bummer im sorry to hear that

if its got a duel range  in it it would defitly be worth pulling apart and as long as theres no major engine damage it might be worth passing along to someone who can use whats left of it other than that you might be able to sell the lights there getting to be rare these days and are hard to find

oh the wheels are a big ticket item too alot of people like those

i  my opinion other than that its not worth the work of stripping it

Edited by ferp420

Yeah, be sad to see it go for sure. It was the bare bones model too. No power locks, windows, or steering for that matter. No A/C, and missing some "appearance" parts when I got it.

I've pieced it together over the years,  so it looks a ton better than the day I limped it home from the auction.

I got a bunch of parts from the boneyards too to keep it going, mostly the non engine stuff that just wears out. Extra front/rear bumpers, tailights, headlights, marker lights, interior trim pieces, a few spare cargo covers, all those small plastic/nylon parts that break, power window assembies (the electronic parts, for moms car).......plus a ton of other misc. parts.

Ill keep most of the car intact and try to sell it cheap for anyone who might try to save it. But if no takers after 2 weeks of listing, I'll then strip it and salvage the rest.

It wasn't pretty,  but it sure gave me all it had where others had failed many years ago.

Edited by Checkerboard Comet

ive got a cherry 94 loyale ive been tryin to give away for years i even sold it then it got sold again then i got it back stole the motor back out of it as.i put it in before i sold it  and have been trying to give it away ever since its even got the 2" lift and 15" wheels on it already with and no one has any interest in it at all theres no cutting on the fenders and no rust i wish someone would take it ive got.way to many projects this one and the forester got to go

Checker, ive got a spare EA82 I pulled from a scrapper sitting in the trunk of my EA81 wagon, and ive been looking to get it out so i can start driving it lol. Im in Vancouver BC so if you really wanted we could do something with themm im pretty close. The Car i pulled it from was in there for rust anyways, and the engine has 270K KM on the clock so about 160K Miles. No need to be so sad about it! its only a car, things can be fixed. We could swap my EA82 into it in under 2 hours if we really wanted to. Sadly I'm not interested in the car for myself, as I have my own EA81 wagon to get back on the road, and nowhere to work on it.

Please, let me know so I can help keep that old girl on the road! and if anyone near him is buying the car, and needs an engine, let me know too!

Well guys, the final nail in the coffin came today.....I just bought my ol' Subie's replacement. Since this was my back up car, it went from daily driver for many years to the occasional trip to the lake (kayaks) or hardware store.

But it was always my snow plow, what a beast it was while others were stuck in ditches.

I'm having it towed home today and I'll put it up for sale on Craigslist this weekend. If anyone here from Washington State wants it, let me know.......you get first crack at it.

I too would love to see it saved and go to a home where it might yet still have a future.

20059.jpeg

On 8/25/2019 at 10:22 AM, ferp420 said:

ive got a cherry 94 loyale ive been tryin to give away for years i even sold it then it got sold again then i got it back stole the motor back out of it as.i put it in before i sold it  and have been trying to give it away ever since its even got the 2" lift and 15" wheels on it already with and no one has any interest in it at all theres no cutting on the fenders and no rust i wish someone would take it ive got.way to many projects this one and the forester got to go

Ferp give me a DM about the info on the car I may know people who are interested. You’re not too far away from me

I replaced it with a 2005 Honda Element, been wanting one for awhile anyway. This just gave me a reason to get one finally. It is the automatic, AWD version.

My Subaru is a 86, 1.8 carb engine. No power anything, with the body straight with a few minor dings and pits.....nothing major. I'm going to swap out the bumpers with beige colored ones (saving solid black ones for moms car).

It is an automatic with 4WD, and I'm keeping one of the steelie rims. I just put a brand new tire on the day before it crapped out........ugh. Again, saving a full size spare for mom. I'll put on the spare so it can still move for who ever gets it. It also has brown/tan interior, and a red drivers seat. But, both front seats have brand new seat covers installed and pretty new speakers front and back.

I'll take some pics and post them later today.

Edited by Checkerboard Comet