Ultimate Subaru Message Board

28 minutes ago, lmdew said:

Yes, I'd remove the bumper and take a good look at the metal around the support.  See where it get solid and then cut one out at a self serve yard.

you guys need to try to remember that "self serve yards" are not available to everyone. There is no such place up here in North central Wisconsin - employees only out in the yards.

2 hours ago, lmdew said:

Yes, I'd remove the bumper and take a good look at the metal around the support.  See where it get solid and then cut one out at a self serve yard.

I'd strongly suggest doing what he just said - verify you've got enough good material to work with.  it's not a bolt on part so you can't just remove the old one and bolt in the new one. 

On 8/24/2019 at 8:37 PM, BeardedWrench said:

this can't be abnormal someone out there has had to deal with this before

it's not that common.  rust usually gets to the rear quarters, brakes, doglegs, front fenders, and exhaust long before the radiator support.  it was probably parked nose first over some grass or something if that's the only area of rot.  i've seen my share of rusty cars and the only one i've seen that absolutely required lower rad support replacement had so much rust everywhere else the car wasn't worth repairing and ended up as a parts car.