Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New radiator - need to bleed?

I replaced the radiator on my son's 96 Legacy and I don't see any bleed screws anywhere. I kept the cap off and waited to see water circulating but did not. I did remove the cap once slowly and collant came gushing out - don't know if I had overfilled it or air was traped and escaped when I opened the cap.The fan did come on and temp gauge for a couple of minutes was at hot level - I have heat coming out of the dash vents - but gauge stays at hot too long for my comfort - are their bleeders - am I missing a step in the process. Wonder if the thermostat is working properly? etc. Please advise. 

Thanks, 

Milty 

bring the front of the car up in the air, fill the block from the upper radiator hose, connect hose then fill radiator.

there should be a small plastic bleeder screw on the passenger side - may not look like much - just a phillips style cross in a small piece of white plastic (sometimes black).

Thermostat needs to be OEM - aftermarkets will not cut it for these cars.

• Like 1

Let it cool first. Remove upper radiator hose and fill .

Then attch clamp and add to radiator.

Suby's have their T stat at the bottom of the block, so just filling the radiator as is custom does not fill the block.

Then proceed as you usually do.

O

Why did you replace the radiator?

If you have the DOHC 2.5 and have had overheat problems you most likely have head gasket leaks.

It's common on these engine.  Do you have black oily stuff in the over flow bottle?  If so the HG are leaking.  

Drop in a 2.2 engine.

Larry

• Thanks 1

what larry said - if you're guessing you  probably have a 2.5 engine and blown headgaskets.  like he said - 2.2 it. 

but yeah - just keep the nose of the car up, fill up the radiator, run car, cool down, top off, run car, cool down, top off and it'll be bled. 

I hope your car is ok, as others mentioned the 2.5 engines were known for head gaskets failing around 150K, but if they were done like mine, you should be ok and Subaru does make a conditioner that helps with small leaks.  I would look at youtube videos and see what real mechanics have to say as here.  

Two years ago I replaced my radiator, the head gaskets had been done at 150-175K I believe.   As it was failing there were minor overheating issues.  It runs fine now, no CEL.  Also the bleed screws on the top of radiator, can strip out so you have to be careful.