Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this junk yard EJ22 engine worth it?

I've got a 91' Loyale with a 93' EJ18 in it. I want to put a EJ22 in there but I am having trouble finding on for sale in my area. I found one the other day at my local junk yard that they said came out of a 95' legacy and it has 270000 something miles on it. They said compression was still in the acceptable range. They're asking $350 for it. If the compression is still good should I just get a gasket kit and timing belt kit and call it good?

I’m a big EJ22 fan but I doubt I’d yank a perfectly good EJ18, jump into all that work, dump $500+ for an unknown engine with over a quarter million miles.  If reliability and daily driver duties are part of the decision. 

Otherwise, how did the coolant and spark plugs PCV and intake look and intake/exhaust port carbon build up?  

I went and looked at the junkyard engine the other day and it is beat up. I'm gonna pass.

The reason I want to put a EJ22 in is I have a 40+ mile Highway commute to work through the mountains with a couple hills that are about 7 percent grade. The EJ18 just seems to struggle with the hills. It also has to work to go above 65 (but this is my first subaru so I don't know if cruising @3500 rpm is standard).

If you’ve got a stock box, 65 will see revs of 3500 or thereabouts. An EJ22 is not going to change that. 

An EJ22 will give you more torque and power over the EJ18. How much I don’t know. 

With the junkyard EJ22, how did you determine it was beat up, compression tested? If the car was totaled and the radiator still intact you’ll know it’s a good engine as it was running before it made it to the junkyard, and they’ll generally run well too.

Cheers 

Bennie

el_freddo it looked like it had been dropped on the ground during removal. The oil pan was dented in and the drivers side head had deep scratches. Even the junk yard dude said he was gonna talk to his guys about it.

I want a EJ22 for more power going up the long hills.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:56 AM, Zip Tie said:

I went and looked at the junkyard engine the other day and it is beat up. I'm gonna pass.

The reason I want to put a EJ22 in is I have a 40+ mile Highway commute to work through the mountains with a couple hills that are about 7 percent grade. The EJ18 just seems to struggle with the hills. It also has to work to go above 65 (but this is my first subaru so I don't know if cruising @3500 rpm is standard).

3500 RPMs is just getting to the powerband.  And it's fine to cruise at those RPMS

If you need more power up the hills, use lower gears and let the engine rev out at a light throttle, rather than using a higher gear and having to struggle even with throttle wide open.   It can take 4500 all day.

• Like 2