Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1991 Loyale soft "clunk-tap" from front suspension.

1991 Loyale FWD wagon 5 spd. Just put on 4 new KYB struts. Ride and cornering now back to Subaru GOOD. Only when I turn slowly into a driveway ( with a normal slight upward grade from street to sidewalk level) is there a very light and polite "tap- clunk" from the right side front. Does not happen when coming to a dip that is straight across the road. Can only "guess" that worn sway bar bushing is allowing metal to metal contact.     *** Also- at 320k miles, is a working clutch cable better to get a preventative replacement?  or just inspect it and re-lube it? Thanks

If the clutch cable is notably tight to press down then you might assume it’s getting crusty and hanging up inside the sheathing, and therefore replace. And of course if you want to then have at it, they are cheap and easy to replace.

But i probably wouldn’t.  There’s enough 300,000 mile concerns I probably wouldn’t worry about a clutch cable.  They don’t strand you, that’s my big litmus test for preventative maintenance. Not fun to start in gear and rev match but it’s drivable. 

Edited by idosubaru

11 hours ago, DaveT said:

I had the lower ball joint do that noise.

I have also had a ball joint do a similar noise

You could try removing the sway bar links and cable tying the bar up out of the way to test noises associated with it. Top bushings in my links went, and caused a bit of a clunk noise on certain bumps. It also made driving on corrugations a nightmare as it would cause the wheels to hop, ended up deleting the whole thing :)