Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Guessing I'm 180 out?

So belts are in, my trusty GL did start, but very rough and won't take throttle. So I'm guessing I'm 180 out. Will these engines start like that? Or is that more symptomatic of being a tooth or so off? It looked fine to me after I carefully followed the advice and videos posted here.

And if it is 180 out, can you just rewire the dist cap to correct?

Eric

G’day Eric, 

It won’t run at all being 180 degrees out. Although that’s pretty hard to do. 

My guess, from experience, is that you didn’t do the mandatory one crank revolution before fitting the second belt. 

On the EA82 the cam wheels should have their markers 180 degrees from each other, so with every crank revolution and marker alignment, one cam wheel will line up, on the next 360* crank revolution, the other cam wheel will line up with the crank’s mark. 

I hope this makes sense. When I was new to the EA82 I had this same problem and it took me AGES to work it out (that was in my pre-forum days). 

Cheers 

Bennie

Ok so I checked timing again. This is where I have it. If anything is out, it looks like maybe a half tooth on passenger side. Curiously, it will not start now.

I read another thread about checking for #1 TDC, and when I followed that, with my cam marks pass side up and out approx 45 deg. drivers down and out, my rotor is pointing to #1. I did notice some flaky white deposits on the posts inside the cap, which I cleaned off.

Thoughts??

Eric

20190902_171035.jpg

Passenger.jpg

Driver.jpg

Drivers side is up. No error there. Found a vac line off, and when I went into old school mechanic mode and started checking plugs for fouling I found my plugs desperately needed replacing. Replaced plugs, connected vac line and it ran pretty good. Hit it with a timing light (with the green plugs connected) and set to 20 BTC. Runs pretty good now. Have new cap and coil for it to put on next, since both are likely 30+ years old.

• Like 2