Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help pricing what I think are NOS motors in crates

I’ve been sitting on these a while and I’m not sure if I want to sell them yet but I don’t want to know what they’re worth. I have an ea63 and an ea71 which appear (to me at least) to be unused motor blocks. I want to know what anyone thinks they’re worth. Heres a link to bigger images. https://flic.kr/s/aHsmGDaaGH

Edited by barrett045
Added link

I think we need the following info to more accurately give you an idea,

-Are these brand new or rebuilds? If there are numbers such as .030 or such stamped on the pistons they are probably rebuilds. If they say STD they may be new. Any corrosion in the water jackets would signal a rebuilt motor.

-Are these just short blocks? No heads?

-Is the EA63 a closed or open deck block?

May be interested in the EA63 BTW.

ATK rebuilds most likely. I have one in a crate like yours. Have had a couple come through and passed one along.

Nobody else has them so it’s hard to place a price. 

A board member who lives near SOA headquarters managed to get some new - not rebuilt - blocks , transmissions , and I think heads too out of their main warehouse when SOA was doing some cleaning in the early 2000’s. 

Todd (Subaru3) got at least one and I managed to get a fresh block. When I just sold my 78 this past year I would not budge on $1800 because of the NEW block from SOA with fresh heads. The car was probably a $500 car so looking at it this way I got $1300 for my engine after putting about 1100 miles on it. But that’s showing the next owner that it runs and needs nothing. 

Edited by moosens

4 hours ago, Datsunrides said:

I think we need the following info to more accurately give you an idea,

-Are these brand new or rebuilds? If there are numbers such as .030 or such stamped on the pistons they are probably rebuilds. If they say STD they may be new. Any corrosion in the water jackets would signal a rebuilt motor.

-Are these just short blocks? No heads?

-Is the EA63 a closed or open deck block?

May be interested in the EA63 BTW.

Ill try to answer some of these. These just got put into storage but I can take more pics soon if interested.

-Where would the numbers be stamped? I can check that but I want to know where exactly to look.

-Just short blocks now. I do have some heads for the EA71 that look almost new also I would throw in (don't know if the heads are the same on these two motors)

-I don't know enough to tell if its closed or open. Hopefully with these bigger images linked you can see what you need. Or if you've got a bit more info I would answer whatever other questions you have. I would definitely be interested in selling the EA63 as I have nothing it could go in.

Based on the larger pics it looks like the 71 is a new motor based on the look of the machined surfaces, but cant tell if small or fat case. Does it have the 2 rectangular ports on top of the motor like the 63?

The 63 is harder to tell. The SOA sticker may mean new, but the condition of the cases and studs may mean rebuild. This is a later closed deck 1400. There is also what looks to be damage to the crank pulley from being dropped or roughly handled. (the busted crate is also an indicator)

Of some concern is both engines are not sealed up and may need to be cleaned up inside before using. I'm going to shoot you a PM about the 1400.

On 9/1/2019 at 9:18 AM, moosens said:

A board member who lives near SOA headquarters managed to get some new - not rebuilt - blocks , transmissions , and I think heads too out of their main warehouse when SOA was doing some cleaning in the early 2000’s. 

If you needed to sell in any given 3 month period I'd guess very roughly $250 ballpark.   If you waited 10 years keeping your eyes peeled for an OEM/NOS rebuild/restore you might get close to $1k depending what you have. 

Less desirable in some ways but I ended up with some EA/EA82T short blocks/bare blocks, maybe from the same source/situation moosens mentioned.

Edited by idosubaru

Ok update here I have added a couple more pics to the album. Crank pully looks fine to me (im not an expert) but I took some better pics. Sorry everything is in a dark shed right now. Both motors only have the letter b stamped into the pistons. I am unable to see the other side with out some significant rearranging but so far both pistons on both motors are the same. The 71 does have the two ports on top (uploaded pic for that too). I hope that helps answer some questions!