Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Plated LSD output shaft retainer bolt

Hi all, I'm needing some help with my Plated LSD diff. I  was trying to remove the ouput shafts on my diff but the RHS bolt has broken the head off. I've managed to get the LHS bolt out but was wondering if the RHS has a LH thread? Can anyone confirm if both bolts are RH thread or if the RHS is LH thread? Also has anyone got any ideas on how to remove the broken bolt? And if a new one is available? Many thanks, Paul 

Hey Bennie,

My memory is not what it was after all these meds and I feel I've lost way too much info. 

I've looked at the open diffs I have left (pretty much most of my parts are probably making new Hyundai cars) and they all don't have a bolt inside the output spline. 

If anyone has one spare, could I purchase it?

Many thanks, 

Paul

Hey Paul, send us some pics via text (I tried calling, mob # ending 031 - my number hasn’t changed)

I’d be happy to swap a set of those non-bolt rear diff output stubs for the open diff stubs/axles and mounting bolt. Contact me via mobile and we’ll sort something out. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• 1 month later...

Thanks Bennie, I've pulled apart a standard diff and I can use one of those in my lsd. You are correct, they are both RH threaded bolts, I'm guessing that I put too much force on one of them. As for your earlier question, can you call me (my number ends with 350) because I'm not sure what type of output shafts you are looking for. Cheers, Paul

Welcome to the Paul & Bennie chat show :)

I was a little surprised to see a Subaru Guru asking this question but as soon as drugs have affected your brain, I understand

Honestly only just noticed these odd bolt heads in the centre of my EA82 3.9 rear diff output shaft stubs as I installed it two days ago - after 20 years of Fuji Fiddling !

Paul - oh Master - can you give us a shot and story on what Fuji Forsaken tool you have to undo it please? I have no idea

Did you soak the recess in CRC556 or something prior?

Impact blast or long breaker bar?

Surely other members also have good and bad experiences with these bolts. Having chucked out 7 diffs three years ago I now question why I didn't pull one apart, even if just for a paper weight or two

Edited by Steptoe

On 9/3/2019 at 7:48 AM, STi 22B said:

Hey Bennie, 

Thanks bud. I would have called you back but it was 2130 when I found my phone still in my car. 

I will message you today and we will chat when both of us are free. 

Cheers, 

Paul 

p.s. here's a pic of the bolt I removed 

PLSD Bolt.jpg

Look at that taper, deffo something to need some serious lube prior to undoing

So, what is tightening torque for these?

The flange nut at the front of rear diff is same as axle hub nut 145 ft lbs

2 hours ago, Steptoe said:

Welcome to the Paul & Bennie chat show :)

I was a little surprised to see a Subaru Guru asking this question but as soon as drugs have affected your brain, I understand

Honestly only just noticed these odd bolt heads in the centre of my EA82 3.9 rear diff output shaft stubs as I installed it two days ago - after 20 years of Fuji Fiddling !

Paul - oh Master - can you give us a shot and story on what Fuji Forsaken tool you have to undo it please? I have no idea

Did you soak the recess in CRC556 or something prior?

Impact blast or long breaker bar?

Surely other members also have good and bad experiences with these bolts. Having chucked out 7 diffs three years ago I now question why I didn't pull one apart, even if just for a paper weight or two

Yeah Jonno, please don't interrupt our conversation without saying breaker, breaker.. :-) 

As for the tool, I brought my snap-on socket about 20 years ago but they no longer do them. I did however find this one on fleabay... 

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/1606270717

Not 100% sure what the factory designed correct torque settings are for these bolts but they cannot be too much, as the head of these bolts are quite small. I did spray some forch black magic in there and left it overnight but this did not seem to help. When the head broke off, I had to turn to the angle grinder. I did use a breaker bar but pretty sure you'd get away with just a good quality ratchet wrench. 

The really sad thing is I've replaced, rebuilt and custom built so many Subies but nowdays, there isn't much memory stored away. I was very happy to see Andrew and the team have managed to get the aussie subie site back up and running, cause there is so much info on there.