Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ tailshaft cut length ? In EA81 ??

OK

Whoever has done the full 'just EJ it's to an EA81 body BRAT, Brumby, wagon or sedan

Maybe not the hatch coz think it was shorter wheelbase

My first hands on looked like 50-52 mm should be removed

Now, made up a support to prop up the tailshaft as it comes out of the AWD box

Recap, if is an EJ20 and AWD 5MT out of GF8 Impreza of 99

EJ sits in the engine bay with gearbox bolted in place, gear lever shortened 60 mm, stay rod yet to be mounted to floor

Using an EA82 brace that used the automatic crossmember mounting bolts in EA82 in the EA81, spaced off floor about 14 mm, and AWD. just resting here

Now it looks like 35-40 mm is needed to be removed

Planning to grind off the lump of weld at rear yoke to see if I can pull tube off yoke, cut then weld up again

The uni is a little arthritic so if I stuff up boreal harm done

Hey Jono, the wagon wheelbase is 100mm shorter than the brumby from memory, and it shares the same wheel base as the hatch IIRC. Someone will have some specs hidden away somewhere. Hopefully they’ll share. 

As for the cutting and welding, you’re correct - cut the weld carefully and that will “release” the tube of the tail shaft from the rear yoke flange arrangement. 

Mark where you want to cut the shaft and very carefully cut it ensuring you’re cutting it square. Then when welding it, ensure the tailshaft and yoke flange are parallel to each other and go for it in sections at a time. 

It’s a good idea to check that it rotates without any wobble in it before using it in the car. 

We did this on a ‘78 Chrysler Lancer. Rear of the shaft isthr place for these mods - just in case the weld ever breaks you won’t be flipping the car with you in it ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Cogs working overtime in empty space....

If you are using 2 piece propulsion shaft and making a centre bearing mount, then mix and match EJ auto and EA82 shafts. 

99% sure this is what was used in Toonga's Brumby when we fitted the AWD EJ 5spd box behind his carburettorred EJ20 SOHC setup.

Well got the hatch @ 2380 , 80 mm shorter than sedan

sedan & hardtop @ 2460, 80 mm longer than hatch

Wagons DL (2WD)? 2455mm and 4WD 2445mm

Brumby spec not in this manual so pulling it from Australian MV supplement booklet...2445mm

So same Brumby and 4WD EA81 wagon

Give that memory a gentle tap Bennie ;)

And Mr22B, was thinking of this, just trying not to waste cyberspace :) .Must hit FB see if Toonga recalls

Thinking centre bearing support mounts remains same so front shaft length is what changes and then suggestion is mix EA and EJ stuff too

Won't hurt me making up a dummy shaft out of useless parts. A mate when he needs my help is a welder with an invoice book when indeed help has nice saw and welding stuff

Yep, centre bearing stays in the same spot for the same year/models but changes for different EA and EJ models and because you do not already have a mounting spot for the centre bearing, then you just need to make up the correct length and then add the centre bearing mount afterwards

On 9/2/2019 at 3:55 PM, Steptoe said:

Well got the hatch @ 2380 , 80 mm shorter than sedan

sedan & hardtop @ 2460, 80 mm longer than hatch

Wagons DL (2WD)? 2455mm and 4WD 2445mm

Brumby spec not in this manual so pulling it from Australian MV supplement booklet...2445mm

So same Brumby and 4WD EA81 wagon

Give that memory a gentle tap Bennie ;)

And Mr22B, was thinking of this, just trying not to waste cyberspace :) .Must hit FB see if Toonga recalls

Thinking centre bearing support mounts remains same so front shaft length is what changes and then suggestion is mix EA and EJ stuff too

Won't hurt me making up a dummy shaft out of useless parts. A mate when he needs my help is a welder with an invoice book when indeed help has nice saw and welding stuff

So I'm gonna dig a little deeper in examining wheelbase as it relates to drivelines. (Props)

There are only two lengths of wheelbase in relation to the length of the prop, body datum point lengths, suspension mount points, etc.

the actual listed length varies by 15~20 mm when you get into different weight/trim/fwd/4wd option, because the rear trailing arm torsion setup makes the wheel travel fore/aft in it swing, so depending on height, the length between front/rear wheel centerlines changes.  Hatch is anywhere from 2370~2380, and wagon/sedan/hardtop/Brat/Brumby are all 2445/2460  With the lower riding models being the latter in each set.

So when evaluating prop lengths, just think Short vs. long body wheelbase.  

FSM lists length of the 2 props at 1057mm and 1136mm respectively.  Measured as "distance between joints"

• Like 1

Thanks for that input

Got some inside info from a fella who had a Brumby with an EJ and AWD EJ box

Mr Sti22B knew it well

L Series gearbox end of tailshaft and K Series centre bearing

EJ rear diff end of tailshaft

And an EJ rear diffs flange on the EA82 rear diff to mate the differing bolt patterns

Only found this after hopping out 35 mm if EJ rear end tailshafts didn't I ?

The Impreza tailshafts tube thickness is just 1.6 mm !

I posted in the other thread i’m sure you saw. Another option is GC automatic driveshaft. My friend used it and he says The driveshaft is maybe an inch shorter than what would be ideal, but the splines on the slip yoke still have 2-3” of engagement, and the dust cover still overlaps over the seal on the tailhousing.

20 hours ago, alexbuoy said:

I posted in the other thread i’m sure you saw. Another option is GC automatic driveshaft. My friend used it and he says The driveshaft is maybe an inch shorter than what would be ideal, but the splines on the slip yoke still have 2-3” of engagement, and the dust cover still overlaps over the seal on the tailhousing.

That sounds like a terrible idea, especially anywhere it rains, snows or where they salt the roads.

Well, an update

First in place measures looked like 50-52 mm needed to be cut out of the 99 Impreza manual tailshaft.

Leveled up the gearbox, propped up at centre bearing within 6 mm off a likely floor mount support and the cut looked closer to 35 to 40 mm. So using measure twice cut once ( thankyou Mr Harrison , woodwork 1980) I cut it at 35, cleaned up the end plug, uni and whacked it back in - bit like a press fit no one ever mentions! so hard a whack it loosened up the stuff joint!

That cut now looks like it should have been just 20 mm if the tailshaft or 15 for tight fit !