Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey! 

‘I’ve never done this type of thing but I’m really stuck. I use my sunroof everyday, and now for some reason it is off of its track. Every time I use the switches to move it, it makes a loud noise and whatever is going on is preventing it to shut. I’m am traveling down south this weekend and with hurricane Dorian I’d like to at least get it shut before I can get it fixed the right way. I can take pictures if it helps. It’s a 2009 Subaru Impreza. Someone help!

the car came with a "wrench" to allow you to close the roof if the power sin't working but I'm not sure that would help in your circumstance.

http://www.subarumanuals.org/subaru-2533.html

in an emergency (heading towards a hurricane) I might suggest that you retract it then gently manually coax it along as you try to close it with the motor.

Edited by brus brother

Tburnham18,

If the motor can't move the sunroof to close it, then the mechanical wrench method (see your owner's manual) won't work either.

From your description, the motor gears, or the two long toothed whips that pull/push the sunroof have stripped at the motor or broken, or the attachment points of the whips to the sunroof have broken or stripped.

Your best move at this point is to pull down the headliner from the rear of the tailgate opening so you can disconnect the the motor entirely (generally pull the B and C pillars, pull the rear door weatherstripping half way down the door openings from the top, remove any ceiling plastic plugs, assist handles, overhead light assemblies. With the motor gone, you might be able to move the sunroof by hand back into its closed position, and then from outside the car tape it well into position all around its seal to prevent it moving.

Be aware that only four 10 mm bolts hold the sunroof to its moving mechanism, so that if you can get it to the point forward where you can get at the 4 bolts, disconnect it, pop it into its opening from atop the car, properly block it in place from below, and then tape it in place from outside. (Take lots of tape with you so that if the wind starts pulling it off, you can put more down.

Do not take the car to a dealership for a fix as you'll be looking at as much as $2500. Buy a complete sunroof system from a wrecking yard as they are easy to change out and may be as cheap as $75 to buy used. They are easy to change out but are time consuming (hence the $2500 dealership quote). I've done several sunroof assembly changeouts over the years, and the only special tool required is a Torx 55 bit for the shoulder belt anchors, in order to remove the B and C pillar moldings to drop the headliner.

Good Luck!

• Like 3

It's an UGLY and time consuming job to change out the assembly but really once they fail they can't easily be fixed as there are NO parts available separately other than the motor. Unfortunately the 95+ assemblies are mostly plastic and once they fail it's all over by the crying. I would say - if you like the car and plan to keep it - get a new sunroof assembly from Subaru as they won't be available forever and anything you get used is just that much closer to failure. It's the plastic - just like radiators they have a useful lifespan of 8-10 years. 

GD

If you use it all the time and are keeping the car, then like GD said a new one from Subaru isn't a bad idea. 

Otherwise swap it out with a used one from a junk yard.  $75 last one I bought and it's a really easy job.  the entire assembly comes out and drop the other one in, nothing to it.