Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2008 Subaru Outback - heavy oil consumption - Shop may have done wrong?

14 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Too much paint. Nope. 

GD

I agree.

And why the HELL would they not give you valve covers?  So they ship it with every passageway into the engine open to dust debris.  WTF?

Get a Subaru genuine new shortblock.  Comes with a brand new Water pump, thermostat, Oil pump, and Oil pan.

Last one I got I only paid $1700 (that was a 25D)

pay the shop a little extra labor to swap the heads while it's out.  They will like that cause it will put a bit of money in the bank for the job rather than being a complete loss of their time.

You;ll spend about the same, and have abetter product.

3 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

I agree.

And why the HELL would they not give you valve covers?  So they ship it with every passageway into the engine open to dust debris.  WTF?

Get a Subaru genuine new shortblock.  Comes with a brand new Water pump, thermostat, Oil pump, and Oil pan.

Last one I got I only paid $1700 (that was a 25D)

pay the shop a little extra labor to swap the heads while it's out.  They will like that cause it will put a bit of money in the bank for the job rather than being a complete loss of their time.

You;ll spend about the same, and have abetter product.

Get the Subaru Reman block. About $2200 and comes with a ton of extras and a 3yr/36k warranty. I've used a couple dozen and they have been flawless.

GD

But do I trust the shop to do a good job? They are mainly a tire oil change shop (firestone)  Correct me if I am wrong but don't I need new heads since the valves were essentially running w/out oil as well.  I would be putting a lot of trust in the shop to procure all the correct parts and put it together correctly w/out a warranty on the engine itself (aside from the subaru short block warranty) when its all said and done.  If there is a failure aside from the short block I still need to pay out labor to repair and potentially another failed part along the way.  So I have to make a decision. Do I trust the shop will do me right or do I pay for a reman w/ a 36 month unlimited mileage warranty with an optional labor warranty that most reman engine companies offer?   I cant take it to another shop to work over since I would lose the shop's labor offer to replace the engine for free.  I am in a spot but all of your advise has been great.  Thanks for the replies along the way.

Are you in Somers NY or where in CT?

I wouldn't trust Firestone to check my tire pressure. Aren't they the ones who "did" the oil change to begin with which raised your initial question?

I know others more knowledgeable than myself have raised issues of plausible deniability but...

What is the book value of the car right now?

• Like 1

There is unlikely to be any damage to the heads. The valves can run with residual oil for far longer than the rod bearings. The main and rod bearings live or die by oil pressure and volume - they are high load. The valve train is much lower load - the valves guides are splash lubricated. The cam journals are pressure fed but under much lower stress and will take a lot longer for damage to occur. 95% of rod knock engines exhibit no damage to the heads. Make sure the shop has the skills to install heads, and pay for the heads to be sent to a machine shop for cleaning, surfacing, inspection, and lash adjustment. 

GD

new Subaru block is going to have a much better batting average and local warranty, though you won’t need it. 

I do it, used heads from a blown block are commonly reused on new blocks.

I wouldn’t want that company without Subaru specific experience and focus providing a block with out of state shipping “warranty”.  

But it does sound somewhat like your hands are tied in terms of options.  

Re: Using heads from a blown block, I agree and have done so myself. My experience is primarily on the 251 heads, but I would caution with a blown block there may be bearing material and crank material in the oil, and these heads must be completely disassembles and cleaned, including a very thorough cleaning of the oil passage inside the cam. If you don't do this there is a chance you will destroy your new lower end. 

Throwing these heads in a hot tank or whatever type of cleaning system you have will not clean the internal passages.