Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ to EA axles

Hey everyone!

I am doing a EJ22 engine and transmission swap on my 82 brat. People who have done this before, what are my options when it comes to front axles? I know the EJ axles are to long (came from a 1991 legacy), and the spline count is different. Is there anyone who makes and sells custom ones with the EA male end, EJ female end and the right length? If not what are my options? I'm just concerned with the front axles for now. Also the engine and trans are not in yet still figuring that part out, thats why I was unsure of the length.

Thank you so much I appreciate i!

There is a few ways to do this but if you put the EA shaft next to the EJ shaft and have a look at the inner CV joint, you might be able to swap parts over. I've used the EA inner CV race inside the EJ inner CV cup before and other times I've had to use the complete inner CV joint on the EA shaft. I've also brought new inner CV joints from the EA82 EFI 25 spline model and fitted them to the EA81 shafts. Hope this can help and let us know how you go.

Edited by STi 22B
Spelling

I am planning to do a EJ trans swap in my ea82 wagon very soon. My friend has an ej trans in his brat and this is what he wrote

Cvs are hybrids. I put EJ inner joints on the Brat axles.
Driveshaft is from a an automatic GC. I made a bracket to hold the carrier bearing.

I put the Brat spider gears in a newer 4.11 rear diff so I can run Brat rear axles

7 hours ago, alexbuoy said:

I am planning to do a EJ trans swap in my ea82 wagon very soon. My friend has an ej trans in his brat and this is what he wrote

Driveshaft is from a an automatic GC. I made a bracket to hold the carrier bearing.

I put the Brat spider gears in a newer 4.11 rear diff so I can run Brat rear axles

If you’re not going to 5 stud, just use the factory MPFI manual L series shafts. They’ll drop right in with an EJ box.

This ONLY works for the L series when keeping the 4x140 PCD. 

Cheers 

Bennie

18 hours ago, el_freddo said:

If you’re not going to 5 stud, just use the factory MPFI manual L series shafts. They’ll drop right in with an EJ box.

Cheers 

Bennie

Good to know. I always forget ea81 and ea82 axles are different lengths

On 9/5/2019 at 2:37 PM, alexbuoy said:

To be honest I had no clue you could put the EJ inners on the brat axles! Can you ask him about how he did that? Thanks! 

On 9/5/2019 at 10:28 PM, el_freddo said:

Cheers 

Bennie

I am planning on doing 5 stud in the future, was going to get the adaptors from https://www.sjrlift.com they seem to be popular. Cheers!

On 9/5/2019 at 7:57 PM, 86BRATMAN said:

Company named Febest sell, or use to sell haven't looked in a long time, inner cv joints for the 1st gen legacy axles that will fit some ea shafts. I used them in my old hardtop conversion. They've been going strong for a few years now. 

Do you have any tips or tricks to put the EJ inners on the EA shafts? Or do they really fit easily? Thanks mate!

On 9/6/2019 at 8:03 PM, bratboy1 said:

Do you have any tips or tricks to put the EJ inners on the EA shafts? Or do they really fit easily? Thanks mate!

I believe there are some EA81 axles that use the 87-AC joint, same as AWD 1st generation legacy.

Should be able to simply slide the EA81 cup off and slip Leggy cup right on to the assembled balls and cage........

• Like 1