Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Legacy auto tran quality?

Hello everyone.

I am seriously considering buying a 1996 Legacy wagon in my area.

The one I am looking at appears to be in outstanding condition and has 166000 miles. I have heard that the 2.2 liter engines are very reliable. however its an automatic transmission and I Have never had an older Subaru with an automatic transmission 

could anyone tell me what they think about the automatic transmission that would be in a 1996 Legacy? 

The 4 speed automatic is virtually indestructible if maintained even a little bit. Far more reliable and less maintenance than the 5 speed manual. Smarter and better at traction, and with a built in "low range" (torque converter/multiplier). Honestly the only reason people go for manual cars is a perception of fuel economy benefits (there are none) or they like having something to do with their right hand. The manual from this era loses in every way. 

GD 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great transmission and will take a beating. My wife delivers mail.

I would have it flushed or drain the oil and drop the pan then one pipe and the filter. I'll  bet the filter looks clean and you won't find much metal powder on the doughnut magnet inside the pan. Doing that it will take 8 quarts to fill it. You can use Dexron 3 or a full synthetic.

13 hours ago, Jman1991 said:

Great. thank you for the info General!

This one I believe has a 4 speed transmission.

It is - all 90-98 Impreza, Forster, legacy, outback auto trans were the same 4 speed with minor adaptations.  

The 4EAT is a beast. Change the fluid at least once, don’t run it low and it should be the last thing you’ll have to think about.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:16 PM, Rampage said:

Great transmission and will take a beating. My wife delivers mail.

I would have it flushed or drain the oil and drop the pan then one pipe and the filter. I'll  bet the filter looks clean and you won't find much metal powder on the doughnut magnet inside the pan. Doing that it will take 8 quarts to fill it. You can use Dexron 3 or a full synthetic.

IMHO, I don't recommend 'power' flushing these unless the ATF has been regularly changed, just drain, refill, drive 3 times.

Also, 8 quarts would include the TC and what's in the pan. Not sure what is meant by 'one pipe'...part of the VB/valve body?

Edited by wtdash

I had one vehicle where something went bad in the transmission which was due improper maintenance if I remember right; the others have all been fine.  Also Lucas tranny oil treatment is good.  I've heard varying opinions on changing the transmission fluid and filter that it may stir stuff up that shouldn't be.  

I don't know if you'll have the following problems where you live, but I did here.
The Neutral Safety Switch (on the tranny) gave me problems. I had to replace it on the 95 because it was sending incorrect signals to the Transmission Control Module and the torque converter would not go into lockup. On both the 95 and 97, the voltage was not going through it to operate the starter solenoid. So I added a push button on the dash to bypass the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch.
I had to change one transmission because reverse quit.

Here is why I said they will take a beating. Both cars are Right Hand Drive Legacy Wagons. My wife has almost 700 mailboxes on her route. When she has a package she must turn the engine off and lock the doors when she gets out. It gets started and shifted more than a 100 times every day. I've only had to replace 1 starter. The 95 has over 467,000 miles on it.

Lucas makes great products.

If you have time, check out this article. Then go to Products. Their (GM) Shudder fix is amazing. I've seen it work every time.
https://www.lubegard.com/technology/
Excerpt from the page: In 1972, the Endangered Species Act outlawed the killing of whales and the use of materials derived from those animals.
Automatic transmission failures went from less than a million units in 1972 to over eight million units a year by 1975, due to the loss of sperm whale oil additives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that these transmission are bullet proof. Most 95-2004 subarus go to the junk yards with their original trasnmissions.

In 14 yrs of subaru repair i have only replaced ones that were abused and broke the ring and pinion gears... oh and one that the trans-cooler lines broke and they kept driving it with no fluid.

Edited by logic23