Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recently purchased an '86 Subaru Standard, my first FWD Subaru.

Started contemplating a 4WD conversion, have a rusty Brat that would be a perfect donor... so I thought.

This is why I will always return to this forum for research:

Through searching this forum I learned that the 4wd hatch gas tank is 4wd hatch specific, the Brat tank would not work. There are ways around this using the fwd tank, but only if you lift the car considerably. I wish to keep the car more or less stock height.

Also the driveline to the rear diff is different, the hatch has the shortest wheelbase of the ea81 models. Thats a no-fit for the Brat driveline.

Plus the locations for the mustache hanger and center carrier bearing are not "there" on fwd models... would have to drill and tap locations for the bolts or have them protruding into the passenger compartment.

And have read that the trans tunnel is shaped differently, and could need some massaging. Even after that the shift boots will most likely not have a great fit.

It would be great with 4WD, but like wise people say on here; unless you are a masochist, leave it be and find one that is already 4WD.

I will let it stay a gas sipper.

Have heard mention that the "fat case" ea71's that come in this model are somewhat rare. Wonder if they are more similar to the ea81 than earlier ea71's.

Thanks again USMB for the great info.

An 86 body is usually coil spring not torsion bar rear unless it is a ute, or did the hatch also get an extended production ?

Wherever you may be that got ea71 in 86, your engine may be step or two behind but surely and 86 Gen3 body will not take Gen2 rear suspension without a fight

• Like 1

Right Steptoe, some 2nd gen cars were still produced long into the 3rd gen lineup (in the States). 2nd gen Brats were produced until 1987. And the 2nd gen hatch was produced until 1989, that being what model this is. Not to be confused with the ea82 3 door coupe.

That is another thing that would have to be swapped over. The rear suspension on the STD is trailing arm, would have to swap in the torsion bar from the 4WD.

Also have heard there will be issues with the stock FWD exhaust once the 4WD running gear is in place.

Ok, so I still don't know what body shape you have - suspect it is typical EA82 body shape, with an EA71 (late) engine

EA82 body is wider than typical EA81 Gen2 which is wider than typical EA71 gen 1 body. Then late Gen1 also got EA81 engines, maybe it was these (only these?) that got wide case EA71 gearbox?

14 hours ago, Steptoe said:

Ok, so I still don't know what body shape you have - suspect it is typical EA82 body shape, with an EA71 (late) engine

EA82 body is wider than typical EA81 Gen2 which is wider than typical EA71 gen 1 body. Then late Gen1 also got EA81 engines, maybe it was these (only these?) that got wide case EA71 gearbox?

He’s got a brumby style three door hatch - like Subarino’s hatchy. 

I didn’t know they made them through to ‘89! That’s awesome! 

@6 Star - you’ll definitely need a new exhaust once the 4wd system is in as the FWD unit will take the easier route to the rear end, typically straight down the trans tunnel. 

It’ll be a good project, been done before so not impossible! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks for helping to clarify that el freddo. It can be confusing with the way Subaru overlapped their production models, especially for the guy at the parts store.

Like in Australia, the Brumby was produced into the early 90's alongside the 3rd gen lineup.

This '86 STD uses a 4 speed fwd trans. GL models that are FWD I've seen always have a 5 speed fwd trans.

Basicallu the STD is a no-frills, no options, just a utilitarian economy car with the bare essentials.

Have some work to do to it, but with some elbow grease it will be a nice little gas saver for me. Going to leave it FWD as I already have 4WD subies

Edited by 6 Star

• 3 months later...