Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt tensioner interchangeable?

I just picked up a 2002 forester with super low miles 45k and before I put it on the road I was going to change the timing belt, pulleys,water pump etc.. Well before I could change everything, I drove it around the block after I worked on the brakes and the engine started making a terrible noise. Sounded like it was coming out of the timing cover sure enough after getting it apart, started up without the cover on and it was the tensioner making the noise. 

My question is can I use one of the older style tensioners on the newer engine? I have a new tensioner and tensioner pulley with the bracket that was for my 96 impreza. Can I switch the bracket and use the older style? Thanks in advance 

1 minute ago, brentlysubaru said:

I just picked up a 2002 forester with super low miles 45k and before I put it on the road I was going to change the timing belt, pulleys,water pump etc.. Well before I could change everything, I drove it around the block after I worked on the brakes and the engine started making a terrible noise. Sounded like it was coming out of the timing cover sure enough after getting it apart, started up without the cover on and it was the tensioner making the noise. 

My question is can I use one of the older style tensioners on the newer engine? I have a new tensioner and tensioner pulley with the bracket that was for my 96 impreza. Can I switch the bracket and use the older style? Thanks in advance 

Yes.  If you swap the entire bracket, roller with eccentric hub, and long style tensioner cylinder it works.