Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear suspension problems

Hi all - my 82 sportswagon 130,000 kms  has always worn the inside of the rear tyres (the right one the most) - you had to be careful on the dirt as the rear end would wander around but seemed fine on the bitumen - I had the car over a pit and I could not see anything loose - used a prybar to try and find worn out bushes etc. - recently I fitted 4 14" rims (Sunraysia) and tyres - now on the dirt the car is downright dangerous - the rear end will kick out badly and throw you offline and it doesn't feel "right" on the bitumen - is there a common problem that somebody could point to ? I have had a few of this model with many more kilometres on the clock and non of them have done this - Cheers

There are three bolts on the swing arm that can influence the camber and probably toe into a point. 

No one ever touches these in an alignment as the bolts are typically too hard to get to and the MYs and L series are listed as a fixed rear end... but if the swing arms have ever been removed then this alignment from delivery is lost. Even then it’s not ever good. 

I’ve seen a tech bulletin outlining the alignment of the rear end using these three bolts but I’ve never done it, nor can I find that bulletin now :( 

On a more extreme note, has the car ever been crashed? It could be bent ever so slightly making the car want to crab along the road.

Cheers 

Bennie

sounds like you need to adjust the rear end

there are 3 bolts on the trailing arm in a triangle like patern loosen those bolts and you can move stuff.around and hopefully you can get the rear end straight

i had that problem on one of my loyals and was able to fix it by messin with that adjustment alittle movement goes along way

Edited by ferp420
  • Like 1

On my wagon, that I converted to 4WD, it was chewing up the outside edge of rear tires.  I made a simple alignment checking setup, [pictures in my thread on it] and found they were toed out over spec.   I loosened those 3 bolts, and a ratchet strap to pull the hub forward, re tightened the 3 bolts.  Much better now.