Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Axle Rebuild

It seems for the life of me I cannot get the outer joint off this axle! Inner joint, no problem. A couple of rings and it came off.

I read you just have to clamp the axle and "smash" the outer joint until it pops over the c retaining ring. Welp. I've been smashing and smashing but this thing will not budge.

What's the deal? smash harder?

Haha yeah I know the procedure. It’s crazy though. I was using a 7lb hammer and a 2x4 and couldn’t get the thing off.

guess I’ll smash harder and see what happens. I have another as well. I’ll take that apart and see if the outer joint removes easier on that one.

maybe the one I have is just stuck. 

Take a short  piece of 2x6.  Drill a hole for the axel it fit through.    Clamp the axle in a vise, with the outer joint down, and the block sitting on the back of the outer cvj.  One moderate hit with a heavy hammer should pop it right off.   Put something to catch it underneath the end so it doesn't land on concrete. 

Edited by DaveT

• 2 weeks later...

i used to rebuild cvs for pepboys and autozone i rebuilt these day in day out i just clamped them and smacked them

however the last time i tryed that i couldent get it to pop

i ended up using a 6ft piece of pipe over the threaded end and just put some waight on it and they came apart puting them back together is another challange just clean it and reboot it if its that hard to get apart its probably ok

if theres damage like a cracked cage or worn balls it will pop off with little effort

also you can go through the cup and accsess the c clip on the end of the shaft but you have to pop the sheet metal plug out of the end of the cup but i only recamend that if the cup is already damaged you can replace the plug but its hard to get too after its put together

and silicone boots are a must if you want the rebuild to last

Edited by ferp420
  • Like 1