Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1994 Impreza GF wagon rear speakers

G'day, I have a 1994 Impreza wagon, base model I think (AUDM 1.8L ”sportswagon"), it has  6" speakers in the front as you would expect, but I'm at a loss to how the rears are fitted.

The grilles are up on the strut towers, come off easy enough and there's the wiring for the rears and a cavity that would obviously fit a 6ish inch speaker but no mounting hardware. There are two bolt studs toward the back of the car and one toward the front lower in amongst that rubber insulation that don't match up with any speaker config I know of, looks like they mount a fascia plate of some kind. See attached pictures.

Google proved useless even when searching for the original Legacy wagon rear setup that I've been told is the same. What do I have to do/find/make to get speakers in these things??

Cheers, Ash

DSC_0460_1.JPG

DSC_0459_1.JPG

2 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

C'mon Padawan - buy a speaker and make a bracket out of some sheet goods. Even plastic.... whatever. Get a sawzall and get on with it. We really need to hold your hand for this? 

GD

If there's an OEM bracket that accousticly seals the strut tower up perfectly and I can get it from the wreckers for $10 then I'm going to pick that option. My current work schedule is too busy to casually fab up some brackets or I would have just done that like I did for my L wagon.

I'd just like to look at options before I do the obvious and make my own. :)

7 hours ago, subieroo said:

If there's an OEM bracket that accousticly seals the strut tower up perfectly and I can get it from the wreckers for $10 then I'm going to pick that option. My current work schedule is too busy to casually fab up some brackets or I would have just done that like I did for my L wagon.

I'd just like to look at options before I do the obvious and make my own. :)

no, the OEM bracket does not acoustically seal the speaker in the strut tower.. it simply holds it in place. this ain't your high end home stereo system here.

Edited by heartless

4 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

"Acoustic seal" on a 94 Impreza?!? Hahahahahahaha.

Surely - you jest.

GD

Geez I just want something less likely to vibrate and annoy the crap out of me, no need to be an rump roast about it. Get off your high horse GD. I don't see how you're being helpful at all

Edited by subieroo

4 hours ago, subieroo said:

Geez I just want something less likely to vibrate and annoy the crap out of me, no need to be an rump roast about it. Get off your high horse GD. I don't see how you're being helpful at all

LOL, being as you are new here, you have no idea how funny this is to those of us who have been here a long time.. trust me, He was being gentle... :D

in all seriousness tho.. the stock bracket is just a stamped metal piece that bridges the tower and holds the speaker.. there is no such thing as acoustically sealing a speaker in a Subaru. In fact, I don't know of any vehicle - unless it is a really high end luxury boat (Bentley? Rolls Royce?) - that does such a thing.

6 hours ago, subieroo said:

High horse? The speakers in my 1986 Trans Am are original. They are (I think) blown. They vibrate like crazy with too much bass. I am not familiar with this "high horse" you speak of. My daily horse is factory ride height. 

And yeah. I'm frequently an a$$. 

Just please remember - there are NO stupid questions. ONLY stupid people. 

GD

On 9/11/2019 at 9:30 AM, heartless said:

LOL, being as you are new here, you have no idea how funny this is to those of us who have been here a long time.. trust me, He was being gentle... :D

in all seriousness tho.. the stock bracket is just a stamped metal piece that bridges the tower and holds the speaker.. there is no such thing as acoustically sealing a speaker in a Subaru. In fact, I don't know of any vehicle - unless it is a really high end luxury boat (Bentley? Rolls Royce?) - that does such a thing.

Yeah maybe I used the wrong term. I'm not looking for high end stuff, I just wondered if the OEM bracket was moulded to fit the shape of the strut tower enough to create some sort of sealed space for reduced vibration... The doors are already set up that way. The seal around the window glass and the plastic wrap are enough to stop distortion, meanwhile the strut tower contains large ventilated areas. I've made enough speaker enclosures to know at least the basic requirements for what's "acceptable" and what sounds like tinny, shaking garbage.

I'll probably end up making my own bracket and surrounding it with foam or something.

On 9/11/2019 at 11:16 AM, GeneralDisorder said:

High horse? The speakers in my 1986 Trans Am are original. They are (I think) blown. They vibrate like crazy with too much bass. I am not familiar with this "high horse" you speak of. My daily horse is factory ride height. 

And yeah. I'm frequently an a$$. 

Just please remember - there are NO stupid questions. ONLY stupid people. 

GD

If you enjoy blown out disgusting stock speakers, good for you. Literally any solution is better than stock if you have any respect for your eardrums. 

I too have built quite a few large speaker enclosures (18" woofers, horn and cone mids and tweeters) years ago.
That speaker area is not very large so foam is a good idea. You do not want to seal it because then it would require a tuning port to match the volume of the enclosure to the resonant frequency of the speaker.
First, I would either put a 1/4 inch of foam under the rubber lining, or glue it to the metal underneath it so it doesn't vibrate against the metal. Then, I would glue a layer of foam on the bottom and sides of that rubber lining.
Too bad those studs aren't longer, you could make your bracket out of wood.
If you use sheet metal bend the edges up to make it more rigid.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:50 AM, Rampage said:

I too have built quite a few large speaker enclosures (18" woofers, horn and cone mids and tweeters) years ago.
That speaker area is not very large so foam is a good idea. You do not want to seal it because then it would require a tuning port to match the volume of the enclosure to the resonant frequency of the speaker.
First, I would either put a 1/4 inch of foam under the rubber lining, or glue it to the metal underneath it so it doesn't vibrate against the metal. Then, I would glue a layer of foam on the bottom and sides of that rubber lining.
Too bad those studs aren't longer, you could make your bracket out of wood.
If you use sheet metal bend the edges up to make it more rigid.

Good ideas, I'll be using them when I do the install for sure.

Bracket will probably have to be sheet metal.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:41 AM, heartless said:

do keep in mind that under that rubber liner is the access for the rear strut mounts.. you do not want to make it difficult to get in there in the future.

Absolutely.. struts are first on the suspension Todo list...