Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil on the hood

High guys, I am 46 years old, just bought my first Subaru.  My son works in Colorado and his friend had a cool old 1992 Subaru wagon Loyale 4wd for sale.  212,000 with a manual..  1.8 4 cyl engine.

A friend and I drove it back from Keystone Colorado to Grand Blanc, Michigan (1,400 miles over 2 days) this weekend..

After about 800 miles (we stopped every 200 to check everything) we noticed oil on the underside of the hood.  I got home, power-washed and degreased the motor.  Even after short trip, oil is sprayed on the underside of the very front of the hood (where the fan can throw oil.)

Am I looking at a front main seal?

thanks guys.

Probably not. If the front main went, it would be all over the timing belt and inside the plastic timing covers. Or.... maybe.... it is. Take it apart and see. 

The old EA81's used to do that. But no timing belt arrangement on those. 

Next time step up to a Legacy chassis or newer. The old GL/Loyale platform is pretty much dead at this point. Can't get the parts to maintain them anymore. People that own them tend to have lots of parts cars to maintain them.

GD

probably have to take the timing covers off to try to see what is leaking oil.

If you intend to keep one of these running, you need to start collecting parts. 

And a factory service manual.

And do the repairs and maintenance.

And have another vehicle to use while it is down.
Which is part of why I have and maintain 2.

If it has power steering it could be shaft seal leaking in the pump. And/or the pressure side fitting on the pump is loose & leaking.

Had each of those happen. Oil on underside of the hood each time.

Like others have implied, you'll constantly be fixing things as they fail. Parts are becoming scarce. 

Edited by czny
  • Like 1

I was going to suggest simplest, easiest, cheapest first ...oil filter may be loose or have two seal rings because old one stuck to housing, not seen when new filter went on. Not done it but seen it.

Oil light sender units love to leak. A new one won't hurt, buy two just in case - they should be a service replace item every 100,000 units.

Photos?

Oh and these babies have an O ring and oil seal in and behind a removable 'seal carrier' front camshaft bearing support.

The oil pump has a Mickey mouse seal between pump body and block and a shaft oil seal

As well as front crank seal

Edited by Steptoe

11 hours ago, czny said:

If it has power steering it could be shaft seal leaking in the pump. And/or the pressure side fitting on the pump is loose & leaking.

Had each of those happen. Oil on underside of the hood each time.

Like others have implied, you'll constantly be fixing things as they fail. Parts are becoming scarce. 

Repair components for PS pump may still be available from dealer. Did mine with dealer supplied bits in 2007