Sign in to follow this  
bratboy1

EJ22 wiring harness question

Hello everyone! 

I am a newbie when it comes to this so I just wanted to clarify before I do something dumb lol! I am swapping a '91 Legacy EJ22 engine and 5 speed in my '82 brat. I have the wiring harness stripped of the tape and shielding. 

For reducing the harness, am I just finding stuff I don't need and cutting off the connector, then taking the wires and following them back as far as possible and cutting them off? I just want to be sure before I do anything drastic. Also, I can run two different harnesses, the preexisting one in the brat in addition to the new one correct? With the EJ22 harness I wasn't planning on having the lights and stuff included since I have them already hooked up on the old harness.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Cheers

Basically. I find and identify every wire in the diagrams before I decide what to do with it. If it's not needed, I cut as much of it out as I can (I usually leave about 3", just in case I made a mistake). If it will be needed but not the connector, I leave as much as possible, and coil it up and mark it with masking tape.

Yes, the EA81 harness is extremely simple by comparison, so just leave it as-is and splice in where you need to. There will be a half a dozen wires or so that are made redundant, but no big deal. Easiest to leave it all there to control body circuits (lights, dash, etc.).

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Numbchux said:

Basically. I find and identify every wire in the diagrams before I decide what to do with it. If it's not needed, I cut as much of it out as I can (I usually leave about 3", just in case I made a mistake). If it will be needed but not the connector, I leave as much as possible, and coil it up and mark it with masking tape.

Yes, the EA81 harness is extremely simple by comparison, so just leave it as-is and splice in where you need to. There will be a half a dozen wires or so that are made redundant, but no big deal. Easiest to leave it all there to control body circuits (lights, dash, etc.).

What would be a case where you need the wire but not the connector?

5 hours ago, Numbchux said:

Anything that connects to the body harness. Power wires. Temperature and oil pressure.

Okay man thanks!

Hey... did you write that conversion manual? If so thanks man that is the best damn piece of literature I have ever read!