Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 XT6 FOR SALE

Hi Everyone,

I have an 1988 XT 6 with about 88K miles.  I fear it is time to move it.   THIS BREAKS MY HEART BECAUSE I LOVE THIS CAR!!!  I have  not tried to start it in many years because of suspension problems.  Body is in good shape except for fading paint.  Interior is in tact except for the dash around the radio is cracked.   No broken glass.  If anyone is interested … contact me but please do not insult me with a lowball price....  

Edited by RICK TRADER

You should probably post pictures, pricing, and put it in the classifieds section. But also understand that a non-running, broken suspension, cracked interior, faded paint XT6 is basically a parts car and is worth virtually nothing. You can't hardly give those cars away anymore. You can't get any parts to maintain them or repair them. You aren't likely to get more than a few hundred $ for it. Regardless of how much you LOVE IT!!!

GD

• Like 3

Don't be afraid of grabbing an XT6!  Someone grow a pair and bring this car back to life!

Pics and price?   You can post your ad in the for sale section, but the mediators seem flexible and will let you know if it's not allowed here.

There are still some vital engine NOS parts to be found, you just need internet searching skills.  As far as the 2.7 H6, I found every NOS seal to replace after doing a timing kit.  Dayco timing belts work well, the only timing kit part that is nowhere to be found is the idler pulley.  I found an NOS water, oil pump and lifters also.  There are very good aftermarket head gaskets available.  Ditch the broken pneumatic front struts for later year Legacy struts.  Rear struts, ball joints, bushings, brakes are available aftermarket.  Engine sensors are also available, yet expensive... IACV, MAF and TPS, remanufactured.  Even the hybrid electric steering pump can be rebuilt with new brushes, the required specific power steering fluid is also available.  As long as the frame is not rotted to death and the body panels don't need gallons of Bondo,  this could be a decent Winter project for a Subaru enthusiast.  But as GeneralDisorder said, don't expect to get back even close to what you have into it, the general rule of most classics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

crazy how the only way to keep a Subaru older than 1989ish alive and on the roads today is to have 1 or 2 parts cars in your own back yard to keep that one alive.

i hate the beginnings of dismantling a what will become a parts car, it hurts so much at first, super careful with things promising to return the part back to the car one day when i find another... after about a month im using a hammer and prying tools to get to my part, funny.

Yep. I've got 2 XT's fully parted and stored and one Brat. Also a whole EA81 front clip. Wish I'd have kept my turbo coupe, but there were too many vehicles here. Fired up my 87.5 XT GL10 a week ago to for the first time in 6 years. Horrible, I know but it fired off in less than 30 seconds. One of these days I'll get the damned EJ swap done.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, skishop69 said:

Yep. I've got 2 XT's fully parted and stored and one Brat. Also a whole EA81 front clip. Wish I'd have kept my turbo coupe, but there were too many vehicles here. Fired up my 87.5 XT GL10 a week ago to for the first time in 6 years. Horrible, I know but it fired off in less than 30 seconds. One of these days I'll get the damned EJ swap done.

I didn't know you sold the turbo coupe... :(